my bobber build so far

steal away.

The real fender and p-pad are actually gone and I'm using a chrome fender no p-pad. ;)

80bcd5ff.jpg

:D

First start of the bike so far. Needs lots of sheet ironed out but I'm real happy to have a running engine.

Sounds like I woke the baby up :oops:

It's held up just fane against everything but brake fluid from a leaky master cylinder.

It's also had the front end replaced with a vintage springer since then.

a42f6168.jpg

Posted via Mobile

Well I put on the new rockers on the springer and it seems I lost all my trail..... :doh:

I'm gonna flip the rockers back to see if I get a decent trail number.

89eacc08.jpg

f581637d-1.jpg

Posted via Mobile

"the rockers" - does that mean the part that connects the bottom of the springer legs forward to the front axle? How does it ride now, though? Is it noticeably bad?

Yup those are the rockers. I have a feeling it would be fine around town but at highspeed it would be a tank slapper.
Lowest trail I would be comfortable with would be 2".

I have a feeling this is gonna be maybe an inch.

Posted via Mobile

Checked trail today and I have 2"
We'll see how it rides once I get the tank back.

and a shot from today when the little monkey was screaming to get on.

221ca098.jpg

Posted via Mobile

I can't say I know a lot about rake and trail, but from the reading I have done 2 inches is too short. Most recommend 4-6 inches. I agree it will be unstable the faster you go.
To change it much I think you have two choices, one, build a new set of rockers with a shorter distance between the axle and the front pivot point. Two, Rake the neck about 5degrees.
Leo

Yeah 2 seems too low to me and I'd rather not find out the hard way with a tank slapper.

I think if I flip these rockers I can gain between 1-2". I've heard 3 is fine so we shall see.

Posted via Mobile

Nice looking Bike. The vintage springer with the small Diameter legs is unsafe at any speed my opinion. A Friend of mine put one like that on a sporster years ago. He said take it for a ride. I rode it about a city block and that was far enough to tell me the bike was unstable and not safe to ride. I took it back to him and told him my opinion. Not long after I was following him about 50 MPH. straight road. The bike went down quick sent him and his girlfriend tumbling across the road. They were lucky to be alive today. I would not trust that small tube front end as far as I could throw it. No tank slapper about it. Just front end flex my guess. Hope it works for you. :thumbsup:

Good point scabber, those parts sat in the barn for a good reason. No fun in a yard of asphalt rash even if nothing else breaks.

I'll keep that in mind. I have gone over the legs for cracks there are none visible. I may have it magnafluxed to really see.

If there are issues, i have a buddy that builds springers who could build me a nice set of legs.

Back