My build thread - 72 XS650

What is the process to polish the engine that well? I really like the look and would like for mine to look that nice.

What is the process to polish the engine that well? I really like the look and would like for mine to look that nice.

I started to sand them with 320 or 600, 1000, 1500 and finally 2000, always with water. Then I polish them with brown then red polishing compound. After, I finish it with Mother's Billet metal polish. It takes a lot of time and patience too. :)

Looks good. Nice to see another one come back to life. Takes a lot of time a work. Took me two years to get it how I wanted it.

Not that your final result isn't perfect . . but I always finish buffing with blue compound. It leaves a surface that needs nothing else done to it.

Not that your final result isn't perfect . . but I always finish buffing with blue compound. It leaves a surface that needs nothing else done to it.

Which blue compound do you use? It's not the first time that I hear something about it but I don't know what it is. I use red (jewelers rouge) polishing compound for finishing but sometimes, it leaves some very little scratch and I can get rid of them with Billet Mothers Polish. I'm not a expert but I try to do it this way and the results are good.

Although you can get it anywhere, here is what Caswell Plating says about it:

BLUE ROUGE BAR

This compound is a drier, less greasy version, of what is commonly known as jeweler's rouge. It had no cutting action, and can therefore be used on thin gold and silver plates without damage. It is ideal for bringing up an extremely high quality polish on you finest pieces. It is also the perfect compound for polishing Bakelite. Ideal for use after the white bar.

I use it to buff everything . . plastic, aluminum, stainless whatever.

Where is the progress on this one? Any updates? Looks great so far. For the frame would a soda blaster and some rattle can paint work?

Where is the progress on this one? Any updates? Looks great so far. For the frame would a soda blaster and some rattle can paint work?

Progress is very slow now, everything is ready for rebuild. Budget is tight now but it would be ok in a couple of weeks. For the frame, sandblast and powdercoat. It will be more durable this way.

hey how do you take off the glass? one of my screw is lose....

Here's two drawing that I've made (sorry, I'm not very good with drawing).

You need to pry the metal ring that keeps the guage parts together. Do it carefully because it's thin. Yo can use a flat screwdriver but I tried with the head of a nail and it worked great. You will be able to access the screw. You can use blue loctite on them but not too much.
Guage1.jpg

After, I use a c-clamp with a piece of wood to compress the guage on the worktable, you don't need to go hard with it, just enough to compress the rubber seal to be able to reinstall the metal ring correctly. Use a hammer with a soft punch and reinstall the metal ring slowly.
Guage2.jpg

Do it with care, I hope it helps.

Progress is very slow now, everything is ready for rebuild. Budget is tight now but it would be ok in a couple of weeks. For the frame, sandblast and powdercoat. It will be more durable this way.

I have read a few threads on here and a few other forums about doing your own powder coating and it doesn't seem too hard or expensive. You may want to look into it.

I have read a few threads on here and a few other forums about doing your own powder coating and it doesn't seem too hard or expensive. You may want to look into it.

I know that it's possible to do it at home but I prefer to let a shop do it. They have more experience than me and I don't have something big enough to "bake" it. Maybe I will try it on smaller parts.

I've powder coated anything that fits in an oven. I have an oven in my shop. I have a cheap powder gun, but it works OK for small stuff. Largest thing I have done is wheels.

I know that it's possible to do it at home but I prefer to let a shop do it. They have more experience than me and I don't have something big enough to "bake" it. Maybe I will try it on smaller parts.

I was looking into this too so I hopped on CL and was able to find some old ovens for as little as 30 bucks and saw the cheap starters kit on harbor freight that seems like it may do the job.

"http://www.harborfreight.com/10-30-psi-powder-coating-system-94244.html"

I don't think I would try it in my kitchen oven but buying a cheap oven for the garage seems like it may be a viable option. Either way, I understand your concern and the want to leave it to the pros. I just thought it seemed easy enough to try my hand at it and see what happens.

Finally, my restoration will continue. I ordered a lot of parts today so I'll wait for them and begin to reassemble my parts.

Back