My build thread - 72 XS650

Looking great!....trying (slowly, $ is tight) to do a '72 as well! I'm jealous.

It tooks me about two years to have the money to continue the process. Maybe I'm too perfectionist but that's me. I recieved one box full of parts today from XS650Direct :D (MikeXS in Canada) and I'm waiting for the last one tomorrow. I also order a couple of parts from Speed and Sport and I'm also waiting for them tomorrow. I just need to receive a "request for funds" (from Paypal) to order a couple of others parts from MMM (650central) and I will have almost everything to continue. The only part that I will need to order later is the seat but I wait just in case that I forget something else.

I think that I will have some work to do in my shop this weekend!

Wow! It is looking great. Just seen this thread and you doing a great job. Makes me want to polish my bikes.

Thanks! The only tip I can give you if you decide to polish parts is to be very patient. It takes time but it worth it, IMO. :thumbsup:

Gonna be gorgeous! i only did half that amount of work to my 74TX and i am extremely pleased with it, can't imagine how good yours is gonna look!!!

know exactly what you are going through. I am rebuilding a 72 as well. Fortunately one of my good friends owns a powdercoating company so I get all mine done for free. couldn't even imagine how much that would cost. i did rims, hubs, frame, side covers, fenders, headlight ears and headlight housing,...etc. pretty much whole bike. only thing getting painted is gas tank. i need to start posting up pics of mine as well. i just finished powder so i am trying to get everything back together. engine will be started after rolling chassis.

hey 72XS2,
Please tell me how you dismantled the gauges to replace the glass, and did you use real glass or plexiglass?
Also, did you consider using two pack paint in lieu of powder-coating? P/C up here in Edmonton Canada is $450+++ for a frame and I can paint it myself, so Im looking at hundreds less in cost, with virtually the same durability.

Brilliant job on the side covers. After seeing what you accomplished, Im no longer afraid to have a go at mine using your methods. Any more information would be appreciated as well.
the-oz-slider

A catalyst or hardener is added when its mixed and it cures after spraying to give it a very hard surface, just like epoxy paint.
I have used it many times for various items, including a respray of a fibreglass shower stall, and it is super tough and you can get the gloss level you want, either as-supplied [ask for satin/gloss or low sheen etc] or adding more thinners will make it shinier.......
I like the paint because its cheaper and doesnt block bolt threads and so on.....
Oz

Also, did you consider using two pack paint in lieu of powder-coating? P/C up here in Edmonton Canada is $450+++ for a frame and I can paint it myself, so Im looking at hundreds less in cost, with virtually the same durability.

I asked to a shop who does powdercoat here for my frame and they ask 200$ if I sandblast it myself. I will have to check if they are asking the same price now. Which brand of two pack paint do you use ? I was thinking about using POR15 if I do it myself.

I've got some work done today. The front forks (new seals and springs) and the front master cylinder (rebuild kit) are done. I also rebuild my carbs last week. I have some problem with my front caliper, the pistons are stuck. I took my master cylinder, old hoses and calipers and tried to make the pistons move with the master cylinder. Finally, it's a good thing, I found out that my master cylinder work like a new one ! I was able to make the piston move so I need to find a way to remove them from the caliper.

Last edited:
Just saw your thread. Look really great! Keep up the good work. I am definitely inspired by your polishing work.

/M

Nice job so far. Here is a link to a really good 2K paint.
http://search.eastwood.com/search?asug=spray+&w=spray+max&p=Q&ts=custom
Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat aerosol
Item #50772 Z

I have used quite a few cans of this and it is fantastic, a can is more than enough to do a frame. If you do your color sanding and polishing after it cures it will look a foot deep.
Just remember that after it's activated the shelf life is about one day, so get all your painting done at one time. I learned that the hard way, guy at the shop told me it would last a week or more, it was solid the next day!!!

Item #50772 Z

I have used quite a few cans of this and it is fantastic, a can is more than enough to do a frame. If you do your color sanding and polishing after it cures it will look a foot deep.
Just remember that after it's activated the shelf life is about one day, so get all your painting done at one time. I learned that the hard way, guy at the shop told me it would last a week or more, it was solid the next day!!!

Think it would be any good to use over polished metal to protect it?

This stuff is the same stuff (clear coat) that is used over base coat...just in a can.
as far as over bare metal goes. I did the frame to my Sportster with it, (bare metal) and it has held up fairly well for over three years. I have had some issues with oxidation under it in a couple areas, I think due to my prep, or lack there of. I have had EXCELLENT results with painting fenders and tanks with this stuff though. Sprays almost as good as a gun does and there is no clean up.

This is VERY dangerous stuff to use you must use a respirator with this as it contains isocyanate (hardener) it can and will kill you if it is misused. So if you know a paint huffer you don't like by them a can...Just kidding!

Item #50772 Z

Thanks for the link. I already see it but I was not sure how it would work on bare metal. I think I will try it. If I don't protect my aluminium, it will fade anyway.

Just saw your thread. Look really great! Keep up the good work. I am definitely inspired by your polishing work.

Thanks! The job isn't perfect, it the first time I polish aluminium but it good enough for me !

Hey;
If you are wanting to clear coat aluminium go with Eastwood's Diamond Clear, it's made for bare metal surfaces and is about half the cost. It comes in gloss and satin also.

Back