My build thread - 72 XS650

Little progress to come this weekend... I'll send the frame to a sandblaster tomorrow, it's supposed to be ready in the day. Finally, I bought POR15 "Hardnose" paint, I will try to paint myself. I also bought a clearcoat for my polished aluminium parts, "Glisten" made by POR15. It's made for bare and polished metal. I will try to clearcoat my parts this weekend too. My project continue slowly... :D

Just to get the facts right, isocyanates are not filtered out with a charcoal canister mask. Isos are bad things and you should avoid them at all cost. I use a fresh air breathing system when I paint. It is the only way to know you are safe. Everyone reacts differently from isocyanate exposure. For some it can be deadly, for everyone it is bad. It stays in your system, so it is additive. It effects you more the next time etc. If you don't believe me, look it up yourself. You see people on TV spraying in professional booths with only a canister mask. First, there are lots of stupid people in the world. Don't copy others bad mistakes. Secondly, they are painting in a better environment where the airborn paint particles are taken out through there filter system quite well. That is not the case with you guys painting in your garage or make shift booth. You are exposing yourself. For this reason, I avoid isos whenever I can. I do all my priming with epoxy. Not all epoxies are the same. Mine , you can sand and block as you do with 2K primers ( isocyanates ). Or I use polyester primers for high build, no isos. I don't like to wear the breathing system all the time and in this way I can avoid it. But when its time to spray clear or other catalyzed top or under coats, I wear it. Learn and live healthy guys.

I've painted my frame but I was not satisfied with the results. So, I ordered Extreme Chassis Satin Black paint from Eastwood and I received it last week. So last week, I sanded my frame to smooth the surface with 320 sandpaper and I've put the first coat tonight. It looks much better. I have to wait 24 hours to put the second coat. I will take pics of the frame tomorrow.

Update:

The paint on my frame is done. Here's some pics (don't look at the mess in my shop :doh:).

XS2_70.jpg

XS2_71.jpg

Also, here's a picture of the engine. It's ready to go back in the frame. I replaced every gaskets and seals, the points, the clutch (friction and metal plates, thrust bearing and one washer was missing), the starter gear, almost everything except that I didn't open the cylinders. It runs fine for now so I will do it later. Front forks are also done. Both wheels have new stainless spokes and new stainless rims. I assembled them but I need to have them laced correctly by a shop. I just have to finish the paint of the other parts (air filter cases, swingarm, engine brackets, triple tree,...). I will try to do it this week and the reassembly will begin. Can't wait to kickstart this thing and take it out for a ride.

XS2_72.jpg

What messy shop? I don't see a messy shop? Just a very clean engine and shiny black frame hanging. Good stuff!!

If I understand you well, no. They are the stock air filter boxes.

Thanks guys !

They don't look like any stock boxes I have seen. They look like some kind of shroud to protect open pods. Were these a certain insert only available on early model bikes that sit under the side covers?

They don't look like any stock boxes I have seen. They look like some kind of shroud to protect open pods. Were these a certain insert only available on early model bikes that sit under the side covers?

These air boxes were used on 72 and 73 models. Maybe 70-71 used the same kind of air boxes but I know that the air filters were a little bit different for 70-71. I will post a pic when it will be painted and reassembled to show you what it looks like.

Finally done some real progress on my bike today. The engine is back in the frame with some other parts. If I had my rims ready with tires on it, the bike would stand on two wheels. Anyway, I still need to finish the paint on my battery tray, both air boxes and the plate under the tach and speedo. I wanted to install the wiring harness but I have to wait for my battery tray. I'll keep you posted.

XS2_73.jpg

XS2_76.jpg

Back