My build thread - 72 XS650

Today, I got my two wheels laced with new tires. Hope that I will get the bike on two wheels this weekend, I will post more pics when it will be done.

I'm really happy, today was a big day. I not only managed to put my bike on two wheels but tonight, the engine was running. I had a little problem at the beginning but I remember that I replaced the point and I forgot to adjust them. After, it start with only one kick. I still have to adjust the carbs correctly, finish the brakes, install the tach and speedo, the seat, the chain and probably one or two thing that I forget.

There's only two things that didn't work well, my flasher relay is shot so it only work on the left side. When I try the right side, I hear a buzz but the lights don't flash. I also ordered the OEM reproduction exhaust from MikeXS and the pipes don't fit on my bike. So I install my pipes with the new mufflers. I will contact them about that.

I will post pics tomorrow.

Sorry, I couldn't take pics today, rain begin just after I came back from it first test drive. The engine runs great but I have some issues with my carbs and clutch. I adjusted my clutch and it seems to be ok. I started the engine and when I put it in first gear, the engine stall. I repeat the adjustment and it was ok. After my little ride, it does the same thing, put it in first gear and it stalls again. For the carbs, I'll have to read my Haynes to adjust them correctly. I started the engine and try to adjust the idle but I have trouble with it. It was not too bad but suddenly, when I rev up the engine, it goes up to 3000 rpm and it takes time to go back to 1000-1200 rpm. It was ok before the ride. I rebuild them completely but I really never adjust carbs before so I will have to take my time. I will try to get it running great later this week, hope it will work better then.

The rebuild is going well. Still need to paint the gas tank and side covers. The engine runs good, no smoke and no weird sound, but I have to adjust the carbs correctly. I rebuild my front master cylinder with a new kit but it doesn't work properly so I will have to order a new one. I wanted to keep the stock one but I will replace it with a "square" model from 650central. I also need a new chain, I reinstalled the one I had to do a test drive around the house but it's too short. I adjust the rear wheel but I installed a 120 tire instead of a 110 and the tire hit the chain guard a little bit because I don't have enough room to adjust it correctly. Other than that, everything is ok, it will be ready for the inspection next summer and finally, I'll be able to ride it. I will finish the work on it this winter, I enjoy the nice weather on my V-Star before the winter... I was surprised, it accelerates a little bit faster than my V-Star 1100. Can't wait to begin to rebuild my other XS2. The engine in this one has been bored to 750cc...

Are you using the original XS2 engine?If so how did you get it to 750cc?I ask as I also have an XS2 and would like to increase its displacement.

Back