My Build Thread.

Hey Guys. Yes I'm looking forward to getting a ride on her.
I'm going to take out some where around 1" out of the middle and weld her back together.
I'll make short weld runs so as not to warp the thing more that it was new from Mikes.

I guess this build has turned into a clusterfuck!
Installing the first bush into the cam has cracked the damn thing. the OD of the bush is too large. It came with the Pamco kit. I am just about to throw in the towel.
I hate to add up the money I have into this bike. So I wont but in my heart I know I could have a nice modern used bike for that sum.

full

Hey John I can make life hard on myself.
when I was putting the bush in I was talking to someone and not paying attention to what I had done.
Well I took my 20 minutes off for my pity party! :laugh:
Cussed, yelled, felt sorry for myself, read posts from You Guys, thought of a solution for getting out the bush.
Learned that a tight bush is not always a good thing.
I'm uploading the bush removal video.

I guess this build has turned into a clusterfuck!
Installing the first bush into the cam has cracked the damn thing. the OD of the bush is too large. It came with the Pamco kit. I am just about to throw in the towel.
I hate to add up the money I have into this bike. So I wont but in my heart I know I could have a nice modern used bike for that sum.

Dude I feel your pain. My ride is one step forward, three steps back! The money I have spent so far, I could have bought a half decent bike myself! Actuall had an offer for a bandit for almost 1/3 of the money I have spent SO FAR!

At least you have that lovely Triumph to blat about on, my brother-in-law had one of them, I love how they sound!

Keep going brother, you will make it eventually!!:thumbsup::bike:

Hey Guys I guess I had a bit of a meltdown.
Airwolfie, I guess we wouldn't have it any other way.
I'm in the process of resizing the first bush.
I will keep on going.

You handled that better than I brother. :thumbsup:
What, we're supposed to keep track of how much money we have in this? Aw hell, I think I lost the receipt...:D
Your too deep into her now, might as well get er done!:laugh:
I better knock on some wood.

The Pamco ignition is installed.
I didn't have to do anything to the inside of the bushes the fit is good.
There is no binding to the advance rod
full

I still will have to time the engine.
full

Not much left.
I still have to get the #1 engine finished.
1 coil, 2 horn, 3 carbs, 4 chain, 5 clutch control, 6 rear brake control, 7 check brushes,
8 left side cover, 9 remount front turn signal lights, 10 install throttle control, 11 install clutch control, 12 install fuel petcock, 13 install tank, 14 double check electrical connections, 15 put oil in engine, 16 install front brake line, 17 install front brake pads, 18 check for missing bolts, nuts, cotter pins, and zip ties, 19 install battery, 20 double check electrical, 21 put gas into tank. 22 get hammer and camera and fire suppression, 22 check what ever I have forgotten to do, 23 try to start the engine

hey John
It was on the spur of the moment thing.
It will help me get her finished.
I have been doing maintenance on the Triumph.
Changing oil and such.
I will get back o the XS later this evening

I feel you on the money spent on these bikes. Here is a list I put together when I finished my bike. I thought I had a buyer for it right away, but the person decided to go another way. The first item on the list should say frame and engine.

Scan0024_zps62bf4084.jpg

But to put this in perspective. I used to build large scale R/C airplanes that could run as much as I put into this bike. I built this P-38 (114" wing span, very detailed ) for about $4500.00 sold it when done for $6000.00 to a fellow pilot who still has it. If I had kept and flown it, it would be a total loss.

005-1.jpg

I build motorcycles for the same reason I built airplanes, for the pleasure of creating something I can be proud of, to keep busy beyond all the honey do's and required bullshit in life, and maintain my sanity. Small price to pay me thinks.

I can dig that too Ben. Small price to pay.
As You know I build them plane too.
And pound for pound way more pricy than bikes.
And as You know you were lucky to get what you got for that P38.
Most of us lose money on planes.
And as one guy that has watched too many receiver batteries go bad in flight..
to watch Thousands of bucks go poof in a micro second.
I've been flying for many years so a few of those aircraft were mine.
the worst was a new battery in a 50cc sized extra 300 crapped out 15 seconds into the first flight of the battery. I had even cycled it 3 times before the flight.

Also the count down continues the horn is installed
full

It's the list. The fargin list!
It kinda makes it like a job. Don't it?
When one thing is done you already have something ready to do:doh:
Although I have managed to keep it down to a minimum.
If someone was paying me to do this I would have already be finished.
But please keep this between You and me. Okay?

Back