My Build Thread.

Thanks for the idea TwoMany I'll have to check that out. That will be after I get her running mods :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Peanut, John Thanks Men for the boost in morale
I got the front caliper pads and inspection cover installed it is now ready for line and fluid.
full

wow that caliper looks the business !

Hope you have an easier time bleeding your brake than I did last week. i even back-filled my hose from the caliper nipple but the hose kept blowing off under the pressure grrr

its probably still only got about 1/3rd travel on the lever .:banghead:

Peanut while the bike is setting take the cover off or loosen it so air can escape the master cylinder and there is a good chance the air bubbles will rise to the top , and you will get a good leaver

thanks for that tip. I did put the cover back on loosely so no rainwater or dust would enter but I'll go out and check in a minute when the monsoon stops :(

Blimey ! I pulled the cover back off the bike and the heavens simply opened like turning on a tap!.. I got soaked just pulling the cover back over the handlebars and running for cover.

Last edited:
Anlaf,:laugh: Lets see now , aaa no Sir It's off a Ducati Monster.
Yes I think it will work nicely.
I'm getting ready to add the brake fluid in a few minutes.
full

yep everything looks A ok under control :thumbsup: just like mine

Seconds later the hose had spat off the nipple :yikes:, brake fluid everywhere, piles of tissues , kitchen towels, :laugh:

oooh look ! 1111 posts !

Man Peanut,that sounds like no fun at all.
I'm not expecting any problems.
I just now found the brake fluid.
The tubing I'm using is tight I have to heat it to get it on.
I also not pumping the handle.
I have one of those kitchen food vacuum sealers.
It has a hose attachments vacuum pack jars.
I fixed a jam jar for the vacuum holding tank.
It should work well for this job

sounds like you are well prepared carbon, I'm sure everything will go fine.
I made the mistake of using a little magnet -lid bottle with a cheapo plastic tube. The first time that I put the spanner on the nipple and turned it the hose turned with the nipple and sprang off the nipple and then the stupid bottle fell over .

I'll get myself a better nipple, longer with more room for the tube and spanner and a better quality rubber hose and use a heavy jam jar like I always used to on cars and vans.

looking forward to hearing how you get on.:thumbsup:

Well my first ides to us the vacuum sealer as a vacuum pump was a total bust.
So I stepped back and thought about it for awhile.
I made a soda blaster before and it worked well.
The blaster works by making a low presser in the tube which draws air soda up into the tube the same air blasts the soda when it passes into the air stream.
So my thinking is using the same theory as the soda blaster I can make a vacuum pump.
So here is what I did took the homemade blaster add 10" or12" to the exit of the blaster to aid in creating the low presser zone. Add tape to the end of the smaller tube I'm using for brake vacuum pump so it will fit tightly into the suction part of the blaster. this is the homemade pump in action for the first time

Well that took longer than I thought it would.
I now have a functional 4 piston brembo with drilled rotor.

brilliant ! :thumbsup: clever use of your soda blast pump
When you say ' longer than expected' are we talking all night lol ?

That caliper and disk look gorgeous and should give you some serious stopping power

Peanut, Well it took a couple hours to get ride of all the bubbles.
Twice I had to start over because I let the MC run dry. :that was stupid: :doh:
Once I finally got most of the bubbles out and the fluid would flow on it's own into the catch jar all I had to do was let it flow and add fluid to the MC until the bubbles disappeared. After the bubbles disappeared I let the fluid level in the MC lower to the full mark. Then I shut off the bleeder and gave the bake handle a test. And I had good resistance.
Now to the rear brake.
And thank You Sir

nice one !:thumbsup: I suspect that some owners (myself included) are not allowing sufficient time and are impatient. its a very small reservoir capacity with a short piston travel so takes quite a lot of lever pulling to purge the whole system and bleed the air bubbles out.

I think the nipple has too large a diameter hole allowing too much pressure loss when bleeding . Ideally one should close the nipple slightly before the piston reaches full travel which is very hard to do with the XS650

glad I've got a hub rear lol:laugh:

Peanut, hey That hub does look great. They just have that oldschcool look :thumbsup:
But I can inspect and change the pads without removing rear wheel.:D
Thanks brother

Last edited:
the rear brakes are now good to go.
Next install rear brake and shifter controls, check brushes, remount front turn lights, install new spark plugs, put oil in engine, fuel petcock, mount gas tank, check electric, missing bolts, put gas in tank, connect main wire to starter, install battery

Last edited:
Back