my first XS650, HELP engine leaking oil

Nickyd

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey so i just picked up a 1981 yamaha xs650, this is my first "fixer uper" bike. I am a beginner and don't have much experience at all with this sorta thing, but im wanted to learn! So i got the bike home an noticed the engine was leaking oil out of where i believe the cylinder head to be? the oil is coming out of the fins.

IMG_8243.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_5327.jpg

idk if i uploaded the pic the right way...

There are a couple of known oil leaks common to these.
The head bolts need to be retorqued first to 30 lbs(imo).
As oem you have rubber backed washers on the 4 outside headbolts they lose their torque. Is it compression(tired rubbers) or vibration transfer IDK but it happens.

Next the valve cover o-rings may be flattened you can try turning them over or replace.

The the o-ring on the cam chain adjuster cap can weep. Again turning it over may buy you time.

The clutch pushrod seal and a loose drive chain sprocket are also places oil will leak, later or sooner who knows.

Check out the tech section for reference material.
And welcome to the site!

ok great thank you, ill check that out.
I made a typo in my original post... i said cylinder head.. i meat to say its around the head gasket. im not sure if thats totally right but thats what someone told me. you can see where its leaking in the pics.
Thanks again!

The headgasket often leaks, doing a head retorque with new bronze washers to replace the stock rubber ones as weekender mentioned and torquing the 8 big nuts to 30 ft/lbs or as some to 35 ft/lbs often fixes it.
Remove each nut one at a time. clean the threads on the stud and in the nut. Oil the threads. Replace and torque. Then do the next one. Do them in the order listed in the book.
Leo

Ok great thx for the advice! by book do you mean manual? if so is there a free pdf that someone could post for me? i don't have any manuals. will the manual tell me how to get to the head gasket? and show me which washers? Sorry im a beginner.
Thanks again guys

30 lbs. on the 8 big nuts is plenty. If it still leaks you have other problems, e.g. damaged head gasket, etc.
Even with race-level compressions you don't need to go above that. I set mine at 28 - 29 with over 11 - 1 c.r. and never had a problem.
Some tuners have reported that higher torque values can actually promote leakage unless the torque values are dead nuts accurate and have been achieved in small increments and in exactly the recommended pattern.

Yes, get a manual. Try ebay or mikesxs.net or just google it. You'll need it if you want to do any work on the bike, which you will. The head has to come off to change the head gasket.

Ok im about to order a service manual, any suggestions on which one is better for a beginner? more detailed pics or easier to understand? Haynes servive manual covers XS650 1970-83... or Clymer, Covers 1970-74 TX650, all XS1, all XS2, 1975-82 XS650. i will only be needing it for my 1981 XS650.. will the clymer be confusing due to covering so many things in 1 book?
Thanks!

Nice Special 2 you got there.

I use the Haynes, haven't seen the Clymers. Get one and then if you need get the other.
Do the re-torque with the brass washers as suggested using a torque wrench properly. The Haynes manual has all the torque specs and the tightening sequences that you'll need. Don't tear the head and jugs off yet.........
Welcome aboard.

Thanks a lot for the advice! im deff gonna need a manual i really don't even know where to start.. so im hoping the manual will help me through this. you guys have been great! Thanks so much! any advice on anything is much appreciated!

In the Clymer book it starts out with the XS1 as a starter then as the years progress it covers just what changed. The first half of the book is for 70-79 the later bikes are in the rear and it covers things like the TCI and Combo reg/rec, rear disc brakes.
I assume the Haynes is set up simularly.
Either one will be a good book. I refrence the Clymer a lot. Most people have one.
I like the Factory books. They can be found on Ebay. On your 81 it comes as just a suppliment to the 78 book. It covers just the things that changed for 81. The 78 book covers a lot but leaves a lot of the basic stuff from the earlier books out. I might suggest getting the Yellow book that covers the 74 to 77 models, this book explains all the basic stuff about the bike. Then get the 78 book and the suppliments to cover your 81.
Leo

Ok great i ordered a book, thx for the help!
Does it seam reasonalble that the torques could be weak even though the oil is only leaking out of 1 side of the engine? the left. idk if you can see it in the pics but the oil is coming out of what seams to me a "seem" in the engine(looks like there could be a gasket there?). the other side(right side) is fine.
Oh and how complex is the process in head retorque with new bronze washers as suggested earlier in the thread?

Thanks again guys

ok i read that, it was very helpful. just 1 thing im confused about.. will i need to remove the engine? or can i accomplish this with the engine in the frame?

ok great, now its not leaking out of the top of the engine its more in the middle.. where the bigger engine fins meet the lower smaller fins? so sorry im a noob lol. so should i still go through with this process?
Thanks

You do need to remove the top engine mount, it's a collection of 4 pieces and 6 bolts. note where the grounds are connected.

mine has been leaking also, i tried the retorque with using the brass seal washers and still have some seepage at head gasket , more so on warmer days. When re torquing the head down, should you loosen all the bolts up at once and then follow the tightening sequence? I did one at a time.

Back