My on the cheap bobber build thread.

Good work! Now quit screwing around! :laugh: On that dent in the frame you think it work if you welded something in the dent and heated just the dent and pull it like with a slide hammer or something....... I have gotten dents out of header tubes by using a 2" ball for a hitch by heating the tube and driving the ball up in it but the end of the tube was open.. Also the tubes were 2-1/8" and only 18 gauge..... Just a thought....

You have been working hard John!
on the dented tube. Maybe cut a piece out of one of the scrap pieces of tubes to match the dent and weld it into place.
the tab you are talking about for the tank seems okay to me.

Carbon, that could work also. If pulling the dent doesn't work out, I'll weld a piece over it to match. Yeah, that's the plan man! I was wondering about that rear mount maybe weakening the top tube?

if you are using 2 tabs coming off each side of the tube. just notch out for the bolt to pass through. of course you are going to make the tabs parallel to each other. then cut a scrap piece of tube cut the tube to fit in between the tabs. Then cut a slot from end to end and weld it to the tube and tabs. Then backbone will be continous again

I was thinking about using some pipe I picked up for the mount. Notching the top tube to fit then running a piece of scrap over the pipe to help strengthen the top tube. When I get the rear mount done I'll probably redo the front mount and frame gusset to clean it up.
I cut the front mount too narrow to fit worth a shit. Cut twice and measure some more?:laugh:

I got the rear tank mount in and done. I just cut back the factory top engine mount a little and "massaged" the bottom of the top tube a little to give me the room I needed.
Tank mounts done. Next....

Thanks Carbon. I got a little more done on the frame today. I cut off the coil bracket and cleaned up the miss left behind. Cleaned up some welds then ran out of time.
I'll be able to spend a few hours tomorrow on her. Hope to get the welding done.
I'm still wanting to clean up the factory neck gussets a little. Maybe reshape them a little.
DSCN0593-1_zpseac8eb13.jpg

Thanks Paul. I appreciate that man! How is yours coming?
Hey Carbon that's a old Tokheim brand pump. Yeah they are worth a few pennies, but it takes a lot to get them lookin' good. Nobody took care of gas pumps back in the day.

I got the frame all welded up.Tried to clean up my ugly welds, man they looked bad!:eek:
They go with the factory welds just fine.:D
DSCN0611_zps7d6cb3c9.jpg

DSCN0612_zps16e98b14.jpg

DSCN0613_zpsb173ea84.jpg

DSCN0615_zps23ac2ace.jpg

DSCN0616_zps6a49f4df.jpg

"fixed" the dent.
DSCN0617_zpsfc02f2ee.jpg

DSCN0618_zps8916289a.jpg

I've got to get some rubber bushings for the tank mounts.

DSCN0622_zpscff62710.jpg

A pic of the rear mount.
DSCN0623_zps7c562e27.jpg

Still plenty to do yet.I'll finish smoothing the frame and get some paint on it next.
Then on to the tins...

Back