1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

My on the cheap bobber build thread.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Johnt3, Dec 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Johnt3

Johnt3 Still learning...

Well I figured I better start my own build thread,since I was posting on Paulrxs650's Build thread.
    I picked up a free low mileage 1978 special after I'd been looking here for ideas and tech info awhile.
    Here's what I started with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Beat up but complete.
    I didn't waste too much time and got her running after I figured out the po had switched coil wires.:doh:
    She ran pretty good,but went ahead and installed a pamco so I wouldn't have to mess with the points setup again.
    I got busy and stripped her down for the Tc Bros hardtail install.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank's to friends:thumbsup: I've picked up a rear fender for free. Started to do the mock up with ideas I've picked up from here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The rear brake setup in progress.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gonna go with the stock gauges.I think they work on this build.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Forgive the welds so far.:D I'll clean up and finish the welds properly when I blow her apart.
    Got the fender mounts mocked up and fender cut down to fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The peg mounts.I saw this idea on here I think.Remember cheap.
    [​IMG]

Had to get her outside for a better look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally got the tank on and partially mounted till I get her tore down.Yeah Yeah,I went with a sporty tank.
    Also got the seat and electrics tank installed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I weenied out and didn't shave the legs,but I did resealed and polished them.
    Went with 650 centrals gaiters.I dig em.
    And yes I had to get her outside in the sun for a look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I decided to tweak the side stand as it wasn't at the right angle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think I'm gonna try to use the factory head pipes and run them under the bike with some free from friends pipes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's it so far.Let me know if there's something I'm doing wrong.Any suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. Johnt3

Johnt3 Still learning...

Dang! Did I piss everybody off?:D

3. :thumbsup:Other than cutting up that beautiful special I dont think anyone is pissed. Looks good so far. :D :thumbsup:

4. Johnt3

Johnt3 Still learning...

Thank you scabber. But it was free and beat up.I think someone used her to learn on from all the road rash and dented lower frame rail.:doh: I'm using as much of the bike as I can.:thumbsup:

5. I think it looks good.
    I am curious though, is that a 'Frisco' sportster tank? or does it just sit a little high? I admit I don't know much about that stuff....

6. Johnt3

Johnt3 Still learning...

Thanks Haalo, No it's a stock sportster tank. I went with that tank because it was cheap and I like how they look. I kinda wish it sat a little lower up front,but that's all the way down.

7. jdizon

jdizon XS650 Guru

Sweet bike man! Can't wait to see it finished.

8. Johnt3

Johnt3 Still learning...

Thanks jdizon! Yeah, Me too man. I keep tellin' myself it's only December.you still got time.:laugh:

9. jdizon

jdizon XS650 Guru

Yup exactly! Get her done! Spring is just around corner :)

10. Johnt3

Johnt3 Still learning...

Just got to get the exhaust done then I'll tear it down to finish welding.I'll be replacing the cam guides and resealing the engine. Paint is still up in the air,but I'm starting to dig the blue.

11. jdizon

jdizon XS650 Guru

That exhaust looks good the way it is.

12. Johnt3

Johnt3 Still learning...

I want it to run under then out in front of the rear tire.I'd like something that's not too loud so my neighbors won't string me up.:D

13. jdizon

jdizon XS650 Guru

Lol got it! That would look cool. Thought about doing something similar but didn't want to have to take off exhaust when the bike his to go on a lift

14. Johnt3

Johnt3 Still learning...

Yeah lol,It's already a struggle to get the lift under now! Changing the oil will be fun. I'll deal with it I guess.

15. Johnt3

Johnt3 Still learning...

Thanks ProSimex, I appreciate that.

16. I think blue would look good on that bike. Just kidding about cutting it up. :D

17. Johnt3

Johnt3 Still learning...

Yeah? I'm leaning that way scabber. How did your 750 run this summer? I see you have a 32 rear sprocket on your bike, what does yours turn at 60 to 65?

18. Spades

Spades XS650 Addict

Great start...looks good. :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

19. Johnt3

Johnt3 Still learning...

Thanks Spades! I sure like your bike man. How's the sale coming?