My sportbike build- an update....

now I officially feel dumb LOL. Good work man. When BEYOND any of my capabilities. Can't wait to see the finished result!!

Great job! You apparently have a vision, and have the dedication and know-how to get it done. Inspirational to the rest of us to say the least. Thank you.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the support guys!

I've been working on the swingarm, and the sprocket carrier. Hope to have pictures of that stuff up in a couple of days.

Hey Yamaha_Chop, whereabouts on the coast are you located? (I ask as I'm in Eugene for school, Portland is home.)

Absolutely, hopefully I'll make a lot of progress on it this summer.

Did some more work the last few days. Got a couple of things done that I've been putting off for a really long time.

First up, remember these?
DSCF1423.jpg

Finally finished putting it all together, looks like it's going to work out great!

DSCF1500.jpg

DSCF1497.jpg

Also, finally fabbed up the mounting point on the swingarm for the shock:

DSCF1499.jpg

The hole for the shock is sleeved as well.

Also, finally I got the steering stem and lower tree drilled, so now my front end is attached properly, now I need to get the front axle sorted and this thing will be on its own two wheels!

I got an upper triple awhile back that had the ignition loop welded back onto it. I got it cheap because of this, but I didn't want to use it anyway, so off it came. Some more shaving needed to blend it fully, but it looks about a million times better now.

DSCF1495.jpg

DSCF1496.jpg

I also built a stand for my bench grinder and my new bead roller. It's a touch wobbly right now, so I'm going to put some supports for the main pole. I'm really happy with it though.

DSCF1504.jpg

Finally, not a shot you haven't seen before, but I just like this shot:

DSCF1510.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Sky

Hey guys. Well as someone pointed out on another forum the way I had the lower shock mounted it couldn't travel through it's stroke properly! Bah! I hate it when I do stuff like that, but sometimes it takes another perspective to point stuff out.

Anyway, I redid the lower mounting point, you can see it here:

DSCF1514.jpg

These ears will be boxed for strength, but I'm out of Argon at the moment. Also, mounting the shock like this is a bit of a bummer because it makes the shock almost entirely upright, we'll see how much that affects it when I ride it. Also in that pic you can see I cut the side tubes back and capped them.

The good thing that came out of this is that I had to redo the upper shock mount. I didn't like what I had going before anyway. I kind of stole the mounting idea from The KTM or Ducati style:

DSCF1512.jpg

DSCF1513.jpg

For the tube where the shock itself mounts I took some 7/8" stock and drilled it for the proper bolt size, then inserted it into the 1 1/8" tubing and welded it into place on both sides. Then I slash cut the ends for looks. I've just got a random bolt in it right now, but once the final bolt is in place it'll almost be hidden. I'm pretty happy with the look.

Also, I received my headlight today. For being a knock-off of a plastic part, I'm extremely pleased with this thing. Well worth the money. Also I had this complicated and fancy mounting system I was going to make because I was sure the factory mounting stuff was crap. Anyway, I installed it with the factory stuff, and I love it! It's exactly what I wanted and I'm super pleased with the look. For the price I really couldn't have done any better.

DSCF1518.jpg

DSCF1521.jpg

Thanks for looking
Sky

Thanks for the updates! I see how the first lower shock mounting wouldn't have worked.. the swingarm moving up and down would be trying to twist the lower bolt.

That upper triple tree looks great!

As soon as you get some rubber on those wheels and it'll really start to come together.

If you're wondering what I've been doing lately I've switched over to working on the electrical side of things:

102_4959.jpg

Megasquirt engine management :)

Soldering isn't too hard, reminds me a lot of welding actually. Lots of time and patience is needed though. Here it is all finished up (except for the boost control, I haven't wired that in yet.)

DSCF1534.jpg

DSCF1535.jpg

I'm crazy excited about this thing. Seriously, the bike itself is almost secondary to this device. It's going to be a steep learning curve, but I couldn't be more excited to get started! Now I just need to get the bike finished up so I can use it :)

You are a friggin madman! And I mean that in the best possible way. I really enjoy watching your progress. Feet first all the way.

Really neat looking build! If you dont mind me asking........What are the wheels off of and the front end set up?

I have a Honda 929 that I am thinking about it being a donor bike for the wheels, front end, and was hoping the swing arm, but it measuers out way to much to modify.

Front forks are 2007 GSXR600, and the front wheel is Honda F2, rear wheel is Honda F3 (it's a half inch wider than the f2 rear wheel)

I read some of the earlier posts on this thread.
You said you couldn't find a turbo the right size for a 650. Did you look at the early 80's Yamaha Seca's. some of them were a turbo charged 650. They were 4 cylinder bikes. I don't know much more than that.
On your amount of boost, you might want to start lower and work up. Also keep the boost off until about 4500 rpm.
You may get detonation problems with out reducing your compression ratio. Some engines are set up with around 7.5-1 to run high boost numbers. I might suggest around 8-1 with maybe around 8-10 psi boost.
While I was in the service I helped a friend add a turbo to his Opel GT back in the late 70's. This is some of what I remember from back then. I suppose things have changed since then.
Great build, awesome project.

You are nuts.. :D

BTW.. I picked up one those horizontal bandsaws we were talking about on page one.. It's not from harbor freight but it's the same thing.. It's awesome! made about 20 big cuts with it over the long weekend and love it! I should have bought one a long time ago.. :thumbsup:

I might suggest around 8-1

That's actually what these engines have stock. Thanks for the good words and comments!

Little update:

So my wife is out of town for a week or so, so I've got some time to work in the garage :)

My list of things I want to accomplish before she comes back:
Finish intake manifold
mount intercooler
Make intercooler piping

So I started working on the intake more last night. I decided not to use the round tubing I had before, instead I went with a box style intake. here's pictures from yesterday and today:

Intake tubes welded on the inside
DSCF1556.jpg

Outside
DSCF1558.jpg

DSCF1560.jpg

DSCF1562.jpg

DSCF1559.jpg

DSCF1567.jpg

DSCF1573.jpg

DSCF1572.jpg

DSCF1571.jpg

Everything is a very tight fit, but it should work great.

Also, I need to weld some tabs on the bottom that connect to the stock upper mount to give it some stability.

My aluminum welding is getting better, It's still kinda globby, but practice makes perfect I guess.

Stayed tuned I should have plenty more updates over the next few days!

thanks
Sky

Yeah, your welds totally suck... so when you're all finished you can send the bike to me so that you don't have to look at them anymore. Just lookin' out, brother.

I have no knowledge so I'm just asking, that intake box looks pretty heavy duty. Is there a reason for that? Or is the aluminum so light that is just easy to work with something a little thicker?

Back