My sportbike build- an update....

This is one of the most insane awesome builds I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! How much does that sucker weigh? That is one tall bike...it's no big toe but hell lol It kinda looks like an awesome and tall version of the buell blast. I

Hey guys, sorry it's been so long since I've updated this thread. I have been doing a bunch of work on the bike, but a lot of it is stuff that doesn't show up well in pictures.
(A little tip for everyone, don't make a bike entirely from scratch. Every SINGLE thing you put on it has to have its own special little mount made and you have to figure out where to put it all. It's gotten ridiculous.)

Anyway, here's a bunch of pictures to show what I've been doing lately.

I put a fitting in the top of the tank for the fuel return line-
DSCF1876.jpg

And welded in the new feed fitting in the bottom of the tank because I couldn't use the stock location-
DSCF1875.jpg

Then I made some mounts for the fuel pump and the fuel filter, they tucked up pretty nice-
DSCF1865.jpg

DSCF1866.jpg

I also worked on my new pegs. These are a hybrid of ZX636 pegs/stockers/my own fab-
DSCF1862.jpg

DSCF1867.jpg

DSCF1868.jpg

I also got a set of rear pegs from some mid 80's Yamaha, cleaned them up and made up some mounts for them.
I got these pegs because the right side had an exhaust mount on it, but when I got them it was on the wrong side, so I cut it off, repositioned it on the other side and welded it back on :)
DSCF1864.jpg

DSCF1869.jpg

Now my wife should be able to ride in style with me. That was one problem with my chop, I can only ride solo with it, so this one we'll both be able to enjoy (Just as soon as I can convince her it's safe anyway.)

I also got a kickstand from a early 90's ZX6r, some HEAVY modifications later (including taking over 2" out of it)
DSCF1863.jpg

That connector between the main seat and the passenger section that was covered in green tape last time? I made a mold out of roundbar, my dad put 5 layers of fiberglass over it and I cut it off the mold, sanded it up and filled with a couple coats of filler. A bit more trimming and it'll be ready for paint.
DSCF1874.jpg

I got my tail-light mounted, and FINALLY began skinning the tail section with sheetmetal. This is my first attempt with sheetmetal and I'm really happy with how it came out so far! The section that will cover the tail-light is going to be made next, that will be removable.
DSCF1871.jpg

DSCF1872.jpg
DSCF1873.jpg

And a couple quick full bike shots-
DSCF1881.jpg

DSCF1882.jpg

Thanks everyone for the continued interest. Rest assured I'm trying very hard to get this bike done! I had set a tenative date of Oct. but I'm not sure if I can hit it or not.

Anyway, I bid you Adieu as tomorrow morning I'm off to Laguna Seca for the Moto GP races this weekend!!!!!

Almost forgot, I'm going in a different direction for gauges, I'm not going to use the original tach like I had planned. I got this instead-
DSCF1883.jpg

It'll be nice to have a speedo again, and the Odo will be cool too.

good work man lots of patience i see ,oh and some know how also...few pics of that other bike would be good also in the back ground you had there...thanks and keep her going champ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

onya blokes..hot dog and steve for that...good to see a aussie right into it....far out what a machine kev has built...do you know of any pic's when bike is finished?

Small update, found a location for my ground block and fuse panel:

DSCN0809.jpg

It's hidden nicely by the fiberglass panel I made.

Got the tail section welded up and the tail-light cover is almost finished:

DSCN0811.jpg

DSCN0812.jpg

Got the rear brake switch mounted finally:

DSCN0815.jpg

Got the Gauge cluster made finally as well, Stock analog tach, with vapor speedo gauge and Boost gauge above that. I'm pretty happy with how this item came out.

DSCN0816.jpg

DSCN0818.jpg

DSCN0822.jpg

And finally the biggest news is that I've decided to go a different direction with my headlight unit. I realized that I actually wanted a real headlight for the front, and that I didn't yet have any ducati parts on my bike, so I had to remedy that.

Enter my new headlight unit from a '06 Ducati 749R:
DSCN0825.jpg

DSCN0824.jpg

DSCN0823.jpg

So now I've got to build a surround for the headlight, should be pretty cool. I'm drawing up some designs now to see which ones I like. Unfortunately this is going to set me back a bit time wise, but it'll be done when it's done.

DSCN0830.jpg

Thanks for looking
Sky

Very Nice! I don't think I've seen you do a lot of sheet metal work until now. How's that going for you?

Really well! The tail section was made from 20 or 22ga steel, which was super thin, welding that was a pain in the butt! The gauge setup was made with 16ga, much easier to weld but harder to form.

It's been an interesting experience as I've wanted to get into sheetmetal working for awhile. I've been wanting to build a new gas tank for my chop for a long time, just trying to get a feel for working with sheetmetal.

Well it looks good!

Forming sheet metal is a skill I'd like to learn someday. I would love to be able to make a tank.

Back