My XS650 project, Deep South XS

Had a chance to do a little break in (2 heat cycles and a retorque) and go for a fairly short ride (29 miles) yesterday with the new combo. Overall it was a good ride. Motor seems to have plenty of power, I could almost keep up with my buddy on his 2005 yzf r6 and pull away from another buddy on a 96 vt1100. The motor seems happiest between 4k and 6.5k rpms. It almost feels like a 2 stroke coming on the pipe at 4.5k, it has a large increase in power at that point. At 6.5k it feels like it plateaus and shifting to the next gear brings it right back to the "boost" lol. I did notice that if I am at about 3k and give it full throttle it kinda bogs for a second but with a slight roll off it pulls really well and will take full throttle at 4k with no issues. Pulled the plugs after it cooled down and it looks as though I may be a little rich, the porcelain by the electrode had a light tan color and the electrode/threaded base had a little bit of black sooty film. The valves still seem loud to me at idle with lash at .006/.009 but I guess that is how it will be, at speed I can't here them so I guess I just need to ride faster. My neutral switch has developed a nasty oil leak. Going to try and stake the neutral switch but have a new 1 coming. Also developed a drip from the small passage plug on the side of the sump plate. Anyone ever run across this? I am thinking that when I had it powdercoated it may have loosened up enough to cause a drip which is about 1 drop of oil every other day or so.

View attachment 207842

Make sure your around in Sep/Oct for the calendar. if no one nominates, (I will try not to forget), do it your self, (self nomination), we need some hard-tails and you will be a shoe in

Looking good Ippy

1645311336688.png

Make sure your around in Sep/Oct for the calendar. if no one nominates, (I will try not to forget), do it your self, (self nomination), we need some hard-tails and you will be a shoe in

Looking good Ippy

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I will try to remember myself as well but these days my memory isn't what it used to be and my sense of time isn't all that great either lol

I know I saw a post recently that was discussing alternative neutral switches but can't for the life of me find it. I seem to remember one of the alternatives was from a kawi and had a bullet connector on it. I don't remember what year/model though. Anyone else remember seeing this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Back