name this part! mystery part fount in transmission

desertrider

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all - this is my first post. I'm from WA state, and am in the process of rebuilding my 78 xs650 engine. This site has been extremely helpful, and I have used the search function etc.. to get answers to my questions.
Anyway - I split the cases and found this broken part in the lower case half in a well under the shift drum assembly (left side). I can't figure out where it came from.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• mystery part1.jpg
    mystery part1.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 260
  • mystery part2.jpg
    mystery part2.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 281
  • mystery part3.jpg
    mystery part3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 269
  • mystery part4.jpg
    mystery part4.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 308
I've only stripped one xs engine, this doesn't make any sense to me at all tbh. but it does look kinda like and electrical sensor with plastic housing seeing that it's copper in rubber. only thing I can think of is that one on the top case behind the cylinders.... across from the oil dipstick. maybe it's part of that. I'll do some digging on parts fiche... neutral light switch? maybe not :S

Last edited:
Neutral switch?

Edit::::::::::::::::::::::

Ooops. Missed the dime as a size reference, thought it was a quarter.

I'll go with muks, horn or starter. How the heck it got in the trans is a complete mystery.

Last edited:
that's hilarious. the only thing I found on the microfiche that looked anything like the top post was that button. but I dismissed it thinking no way...
I thought maybe it's from inside the threaded part of the neutral switch so I looked on google images, didn't really see how the neutral switch would come apart and let this out, even saw this very button on mikesxs and dismissed it again thinking why would THAT be in there? haha

WOW - you guys are good! Went out to garage and guess what? they matched up! Starter button does hover over the dipstick hole when bike is leaning on kickstand and wheels turned right to stop....
Thank you! whew:thumbsup:

Attachments

• mystery part5.jpg
    mystery part5.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 255
  • mystery part6.jpg
    mystery part6.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 230
Back