Need Brake Help!! - '73 650

6search6

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have installed a second front rotor on my '73 xs matching the right side. I have also installed a dual brembo with pandemonium brackets (great fabrication). It seems like I have a binding issue and need to drop down to a 5mm rotor. I'd like to keep the rotor hub because it fits up nicely. I'd like to replace just the rotor to drop it from 7mm to 5mm. Any suggestions for a '73.

The only suggestions I can find on the forum is for >'76.

No, the early rotors are a two piece rotor. As far as I know they only made them 7 mm thick.
The right side lines up ok, right? The left is the one that binds, right?
One bottom of the fork there are two nuts that hold the clamp tight on the axle. Loosen these nuts and slide the fork over a bit to center the caliper over the rotor.
As long as you don't move the fork more than a mm or two it works fine. I have to do this with the dual disc on my 75.
You can try shimming the caliper mount to move the caliper to center over the rotor.
Leo

No, the early rotors are a two piece rotor. As far as I know they only made them 7 mm thick.
The right side lines up ok, right? The left is the one that binds, right?
One bottom of the fork there are two nuts that hold the clamp tight on the axle. Loosen these nuts and slide the fork over a bit to center the caliper over the rotor.
As long as you don't move the fork more than a mm or two it works fine. I have to do this with the dual disc on my 75.
You can try shimming the caliper mount to move the caliper to center over the rotor.
Leo

Thank Leo

I have found a guy who can machine the rotors dows in a low heat environment from 7mm to 5mm. Im going to do both to reduce the binding. He also cross drills for $25 while there. www.truedisk.net. I will keep you posted on how it works out.

Back