Need help a piece of rocker box fell into valve springs

Quilty

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
I have a small problem. After adjusting my valves for the second time, I was putting everything back and I noticed that the screws weren't torquing down on the valve cover. while I was waiting for replacement studs I got some 10mm bolts to stop oil from pissing all over my carbs. Anyway one bolt was slightly too long and broke inside the head (the lower of the 3 holes) as I was tightening it down and it pushed a small piece of aluminium out the other side and onto the spring of the RH intake valve. Retrieved the bolt from the head (eventually) but not the small piece of metal which had now fallen into the centre of the springs. Since I don't have a garage and have to do my tinkering in the driveway, do I have to take the rocker box off or am I ok. Im Afraid to drive the bike just incase I does some really bad damage I will pay for later :doh:

I'd try to pick that broken piece outta there. Maybe use a piece of wire, bent to a useable shape, with a dab of grease on the tip to stick to it, and 'lockpick' around in there to retrieve it, possibly assisted with a fine tweezer in the other hand...

My problem is that it has fallen inside the valve spring and there isn't a lot of room to move with just the valve cover off. Is there a way to get the rocker box cover off if I just take the tank off or do I have to take the engine out of the frame?? The piece is about half the size of your little toe nail. Is it that dangerous??

To remove the rocker box the engine has to come out of the frame.
You might try removing the valve springs to get the bit out. This can be done without pulling the rocker box.
There are threads on how to do this.
It takes a special tool that can be easily made.
The technique was developed for replacing the valve seals.
Leo

I would think it would be easier for a greenhorn to pull the motor, no pun intended to the Irish. Easier to work on. It's bad enough with the motor out to get the valve keepers to seat correctly.

"Toe nail" is a pretty relative measurement. Can you be more specific about the size, diameter, thickness of the piece of broken aluminum? If it's tiny my inclination would be to button it up, fire it up, and let the chips fall where they may (pun intended).

roy

Couldn't seer it to get at it and it's my ride to work. I pray it's stuck where it is till I can take the engine out and take a proper look. Thanks though guys

Back