Need Help New Member

1980xs650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have either gotten myself confused by reading so much or just not quite got the concept

I have a 1980 xs650
the charging system in it does not work at all
It has the tci ignition system

I am currently looking to upgrade the charging system and possabily the ignition but don't understand what to get because of the tci system

Is there a kit I can just go buy or do I need to change to come points parts to get the upgrades?

Ive looked at hughs, tc bros, and mikexs and just cant get the answer im looking for

thanks ahead of time Xs650 Members

This is what you would put in.

http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.com/p/xs650-permanent-magnet-alternator.html $320

and this from MikesXS

Ultimate Pamco High Output Electronic Ignition Kit + E-Advancer
Ultimate Pamco High Output Electronic Ignition Kit + E-Advancer Photo
XS Performance
Ultimate Pamco High Output Electronic Ignition Kit with Electronic Advancer

Kit Contains:
Complete assembly with E-Advancer (#14-0903), Ultimate high output XS performance Ignition Coil (#17-6903),
XS Performance Yellow Silicone Copper core Plug Wire set (20" each)(#23-2906), Two 5K NGK spark Plug Caps (XS#23-3113), 1 set of Point Plate Screws(2) & washers(2)(#14-0655), Auto Advance Rod (#14-0650), (3)Drive pin for Auto Advance (#14-0653), and (3) Bushing-Camshaft, Inner (#05-0032)

Installation Instructions
Part #14-0913 $328.95 USD Kit

But before I spend 650 USD I will spend a bit of time and troubleshoot the stock charging system, usually repairing it to perfect operation for less than $150, sometimes MUCH less. This is especially true if your TCI ignition is working. as NJ sez start with the guide....

Have you done any diagnostic work to come to the conclusion the charging system doesn't work?

If your confused or haven't got the concept, take a step back and tell us the whole story of what you have done and what's the situation with the bike. Pics, tell the story as wel,l if not better at times.

Thanks for replies sorry working 2 jobs and a son I don't have much time on here.

Basically the story is I got the Bike around beginning of winter 2014.
Came from my step father who had it in a shed which leaked

When I first got it I cleaned out the gas tank, cleaned the carbs up, and put new gas in it.
I got it running but it would not keep the battery charged at all. I bought a new battery for it to start. It worked until it was dead then the bike would no longer charge it.
I also found out the bike was only running on 1 cylinder due to the spark plug wires being torn and super glued back together

After finding this I decided I was just going to build a bobber so I started stripping the bike. Ran out of time and here it is spring time.

Im putting it back together now to stock form but I still need to get a new coil and figure out that charging problem.

Back