Need help with cleaning. lookin for your opinions and exp.

howry

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hey guys,
so finelly got some extra cash and bought 2 xs650. 76 and 79. 76 in rough condition, but 79 is turning and looks not too tooo bad. basically i just took em for winter project, to have bike for next summer. got few things for you guys, that i seem couldnt find on this website.
1. easiest way to clean gas tank? ( i heard, few ways, stones with some mixture. some toxic chemicals. even vinegar)
2. what to clean the engine with? same goes for carb? ( i heard the carb dip, which ill have tomorrow a try out, but not sure what i can use n the engine)
3. the chain is rusted as well. i wanted to try the CLR cleaning stuff. should i try something else? carb dip or some. i mean i was planning to brush it as well.
4. was wondering, if should keep the stock carb? or get something else. dunno what.

thank you, your opinions will be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF7339.jpg
    DSCF7339.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF7356.jpg
    DSCF7356.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF7405.jpg
    DSCF7405.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
For serious carb clean, strip em and soak em. Except the plastic/rubber parts. Engine clean, spray on Gunk or Engine Brite.

Clean the chain with CLR? No. Soak in kerosene and use a wire brush. The tank, I've no experience.

For serious carb clean, strip em and soak em. Except the plastic/rubber parts. Engine clean, spray on Gunk or Engine Brite.

i guess that carb dip solution or however it calls, and take all the plastic related stuff out; sounds good. is wd-40 harmfull? what if i use it on the engine? or clean the engine with the same stuff? and have ya heard about cleaning the fuel tank with vinegar?
also would ya know what ohm are in that fuse box? i heard it was three 10's and one 20. no manual :(

Biker.net has got your manual. For free. Read up.

Leave the WD-40 on the shelf. Use the search feature to reaserch the tank cleaning. Ohms in the fuse box? You mean fuse ratings? 20amp for the main and 10amps for Ignition, lights and one more I forget. No Ohms there.

Leave the WD-40 on the shelf. Use the search feature to reaserch the tank cleaning. Ohms in the fuse box? You mean fuse ratings? 20amp for the main and 10amps for Ignition, lights and one more I forget. No Ohms there.

lol wow i guess i was tired... the wires are not in bad condition but the fuse box just pises me off lol i need more advance then the old stuff. and wd-40 will be only used on screws and frame alone. where can i find that carb dip? any big stores going to have em?

As mentioned, a full carb dip is not recommended unless all plastic and rubber parts are removed - and you obviously don't know enough about these bikes yet to do that. Study up a bit before you dive in or you're going to mess things up more than they already are, lol.

As mentioned, a full carb dip is not recommended unless all plastic and rubber parts are removed - and you obviously don't know enough about these bikes yet to do that. Study up a bit before you dive in or you're going to mess things up more than they already are, lol.

yeah thats true. dont know much about them YET :p i will.
took the carbs out. and all the plastic out. "diaphram" and all. i heard that even the needle shouldnt be dipped. but all i did is just put few coats of carb cleaning. just spraed on the metal and thats it. todays job is to wipe em clean. and start on the chain and engine.

If you disassemble the carbs completely, I've had great results by soaking them in Pinesol. Then washing them up really good.
The chain I've soaked in regular gasoline will do the trick as well, but I'd normally replace it on an old bike.

Yes, from your 1st pic, that chain appears almost out of adjustment which would indicate it's stretched out and needs replacing.

You didn't mention removing the butterfly shaft seals so I'm assuming you didn't. I'll bet you didn't even know they were there. They're rubber and if you dipped the carbs, you may have ruined them. A proper carb cleaning consists of more than just cleaning the surfaces. You need to blow cleaner through all the passageways using compressed air.

This is a really good beginning list of "to dos" for the new to motorcycles, I would suggest a careful read before getting too deeply involved in one system or another.....BOL, Blue

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367

tnx/. looks interesting. ill read it and memorize it. soooo i didnt exactly dip it just washed it with carb cleaning. nothing touchd the rubber. and it wasnt in bad condition. but i opend everything and cleand the inside. took all the rubber out. yup i did. didnt used any air compressor. so the 79( i still dunno if it is 79, cuz no vin just the 9digit number) turns, i cant take the cover out. 1 bolt is STUCK pretty good. cant take it out, to replace the chain and clean it up. and by the way, anyone can help me out with the steps to take the engine apart? take it offf.... any ideas on the stuck screw? guys plz help

Oh and if you decide to sell some parts from the bike your not using to help pay for parts on the other Id be Really interested in taking the spoked rims at a fair price :) Hit me up with a pm if you decide to..

What 5 Twins is telling you is that the shaft that goe's through the carb with the butterfly on has 'o' ring seals that are NOT visable! And any strong carb 'dip' shit is WAY to strong, and will eat them up in no time. The air & fuel passage's are, in a word, TINY! If the bike has sat for any amount of time, and looking at that chain, it has, then the carbs WILL need a thorough going through. Before you start asking alot of questions, look through our tech section, and get a little educated about how thing's are resolved on these bike's. then, when your question's come up, as they will,ask away. We are here to help you, but help yourself to what has allready been filed for Your referance. Oh, one more thing, welcome to the site. We do have a wealth of knowledge here, and allot of it has been allready put in the tech section.:yikes:

was stupid and opend the cover. shouldnt have. regret this soo much. plz check the third picture and let me know howwww to put it back. the kick start... thank you in advance....

http://www.knucklebusterinc.com/tech/XS650.pdf

Pages 20 thru 30 or so ..... There is going to be no substitute for learning how to use a good (in this case factory) service manual like the one available online above. Better still, have you been able to get your own hardcopy of one? If you'll read page 20 in the 3rd Section above you'll might find some instructions on taking your right hand side cover off that you might wish you'd followed. Later on the re-assembly instructions are interesting too.

Last edited:
Back