Need help with VIN

easy4me

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Everyone tells me I don't have enough numbers/letters in my VIN. The tag on the neck says vehicle ID number 4M4-004507. The same is stamped into the metal in the neck and the front lower part of the motor. It' supposed to be an '80 model. Anyone have an idea of what I have?

Everyone tells me I don't have enough numbers/letters in my VIN. The tag on the neck says vehicle ID number 4M4-004507. The same is stamped into the metal in the neck and the front lower part of the motor. It' supposed to be an '80 model. Anyone have an idea of what I have?
i think you have 1981 hs special XS650SHH . . . . . . . . ..__. 4M4-000101 should be the first ID number for 1981 special

4M4 is the designation for an SH model. They didn't stamp all 17 characters in the neck until 1982, but began giving the bikes 17 VIN numbers on the plate. However, the DOT manufacturer tag or VIN plate should have all 17 on it. Example would be JYA4M4XXXBX004507. The JY means a Japanese Yamaha, and the "A" is the motor division, so it's a motorcycle. 4M4 means SH model. The 10th character is the model year. "A" being 1980, so "B" is 1981, so on and so forth. 7 and 8 are model specif items. Like it has a 2 cyclinder engine. The 9th digit is a "check" number. The 11th is the assembly plant, then the line sequence number are the last 5. So yours is the 4,507th made.
Although, you should have a plate with all 17 on the neck.

Thats what I keep hearing, but my plate only has the 9 digits. Should the stamping in the metal and on the motor be the 17 digits also?

It's not a "plate" just a thick white sticker and they do go missing You have the important numbers.

You bought this bike with no title?
You should not need the sticker to register.
With a little help here I think we can figure out the correct lead in characters to your VIN?
Just a heads up; check carefully under seat in tool box etc. for a registration card. I have found one before on used bikes.

Bought the bike for $75 and was going to use it for parts, but after hooking up battery it starts on first kick, good compression and all this after bike had been sitting for 4 years. Figured I would try to get it licensed as it did have a title at one time, but the owner has since passed away.

PM with some VIN info sent
In my collection
80 and earlier have just 9 digits on the sticker
81 and later have the full 17 digit VIN on the sticker

I have an 81 Special. It has the 17 digit number on the sticker, the 9 digit number stamped in the neck. The title uses the 9 digit number.
I might check with the PO's family, they may have the old title. If not you might get a copy from the DMV. With that in hand you should be able to get it transfered to you.
Leo

Thanx for that link... but my next question is:
Since my bike is an 81, was it ever given the 17digit vin# or did this fall in the last year of the 9digit?

I have an '82 that still carries the 9 digit serial number on the title (issued 2021): 5V4-xxxxxx. It might depend on your state's DMV.

Thanx for that link... but my next question is:
Since my bike is an 81, was it ever given the 17digit vin# or did this fall in the last year of the 9digit?
The vin sticker should have the 17 digit #............... Stamped # on the frame and engine will be 4M4 - and 6 #'s

Ok... that helps a lot... I was pulling my hair out about this. Guess first things first... going to the dmv. Fun part is... I have no paperwork on this bike. And it's out of state! Basically a barn yard bike... lol. Thanx for the help and will be back with more questions.

The vin sticker should have the 17 digit #............... Stamped # on the frame and engine will be 4M4 - and 6 #'s
On the frame it's only stamped the 9digit #. No numbers anywhere else. The bike has been chopped to make it a rigid hardtail. So no other #'s anywhere.

Back