Need motor gurus help

rusty rocket

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I had a mechanic friend do a top end rebuild on my 81. I brought the motor home and put the bike together. I put a charged battery in put a bit of fuel in and then kick and kicked till i was tired out. I moved the pamco and it fired but wouldnt run right. I had the pamco all the way to one end of the adjustment but I couldnt get it to advance any farther. We figured that the cam was one link off on the cam chain so my friend said he would fix it. He called yesterday and said it was back together but couldnt get it to start. Now it will not even fire. Could he have moved the cam the wrong way? it turns over has spark and fuel.

Sure he could have.
in the video I was talking about the master links placement it doesn't matter where is. It moves anyway.
where the cam and crank should be.

you can do a quick check to see if the cam is lined up correctly. at tdc take a look on the advance side of the cam (right side if sitting on the bike). there is a little hole in the end of the cam. if it's not pointed at 12 o'clock then you are off.

C1164E54_zpsb14576f0.jpg

if you open up the head cover you can see the notch on the cam. it's located at the sprocket. i've ran a piece of string straight up from the crank shaft (left side). this cam was off a tooth.

709129A7_zps8233545a.jpg

Is your mechanic friend a real mechanic? I can't believe how often this same topic comes up on the site. When assembling an engine, there's a notch on one side of the camshaft, and a punch mark on the other side, which are referenced to the TDC mark. It can't be made anymore simple than that!

There's no need to use a string, Yamaha put the 2 marks on the camshaft for a reason.

Back