need title help from you guys who buy used out of state bikes

tomykoz

"what dont kill me makes me stronger"
Reaction score
purchasing an xs650 in PA...im in ohio...no money has exchanged hands yet,,,,

.guy says he is selling it for a friend from virginia...and that the friend from virginia is mailing him a notorized title so it can be sold...

..my question...the guy in pa is gonna fill in my name and the price after the fact its been notarized from his friend in virginia.....

...is that legal or can that be done?....or am i gonna end up with a no good title and money loss?...need help:),thx,tom

Its legal, in a way. You should be the one filling out that portion though. Why cant you do it when you pick up the bike?

I will say to never exchange money unless you have that title in your hand and you can verify the VIN on the bike.
Some states also require a bill of sale, some even notorized.
I almost bought a bike that way, but when the guy hesitated about sending me a pic of the title held next to the VIN plate, I knew something was up.
Come to find out it had a lien on it.

ya its not all filled out yet just the guy from virginia's portion......im gonna fill mine out i guess when i go tomorrow.

.....i just called my BMV.....they said its ok that i fill out my part after the fact its been notarized......my luck will be ill get taken on some bmv technicallity :(........

...of course if this thing is ticking and i hear pistons and chains slapping around im gonna offer him less or pass it up

Last edited:
purchasing an xs650 in PA...im in ohio...no money has exchanged hands yet,,,,

.guy says he is selling it for a friend from virginia...and that the friend from virginia is mailing him a notorized title so it can be sold...

..my question...the guy in pa is gonna fill in my name and the price after the fact its been notarized from his friend in virginia.....

...is that legal or can that be done?....or am i gonna end up with a no good title and money loss?...need help:),thx,tom

That sounds ok, but make sure there is no mention of PA in the transaction/paperwork. If the bike goes through PA from VA, then to OH, PA taxes must be paid before you can title in Ohio. Then you would end up having to register and title in PA and pay sales tax, then title/register in OH and pay tax again. This happened to me once between OH, to AL, to TN. Also, contact VA DOT and see if any taxes must be paid there before you can title in OH as a bona fide purchaser. Don't mention PA. Some states have screwed up ways of collecting all of the tax revenue they can!
Simply put, make sure transaction/paperwork goes directly from VA to OH. And again, make sure no tax must be paid in VA prior to them releasing title to OH. AND PLEASE don't transfer any money until you physically see the bike and check VIN # to title. Or, if your are buying through some place like fleabay, make sure the bike age, etc, qualifies for their "Vehicle Purchase Protection". The bike may not even exist, might just be photos! Good luck!

thats terrible how you would have to pay tax twice.....ill fix them...ill put down a $50 purchase price

I used to do that in Maryland until they set a minimum sale price, then also went to Kelly Blue Book. Then they raised the title fee from $25 to $100
But atleast we have historic tags; anytbing over 20yrs old. I lived in Delaware and it didnt matter what the year was. Everything had to go through inspection.

My situation was a guy in AL bought a bike from a Harley dealer in OH. The OH dealer signed a clear title to him. However, he never registered it in AL and rode the bike in AL with a tag from another bike. When I bought it, I got a BOS from him and the title signed by the dealer in OH, but is was signed over to him, not me. TN demanded that I have it registered it AL and pay tax, then registered in TN and pay tax. Seller disappeared or died. Big mess. Hope it works out. Best wishes.

TN would not issue me a title or registration until Al taxes had been paid. Some states are taking care of each other to collect revenue. TN has antique plates, but last I heard, you are limited to riding only to certain events. If you aren't going to an antique show and get stopped, you get a ticket. Another tax revenue mechanism. It never ends!

Yea watch out on the valuation. TN doesn't require inspection. Not sure what OH requires. Be careful not to low ball it too much unless it's in boxes.

This sounds like a red flag...I wouldn't buy a motorized vehicle unless I had a notarized bill of sale and/or notarized title in hand.
This title exchange with the your seller should have been done a long time ago before he listed it for sale.

Be carefull in PA open titles are illegal. They can confiscate the bike and fine you. Have a bill of sale from Virginia. If pulled over and questioned about the bike dont mention a title. Tell them you bought in Virginia and are just transporting through the state. If asked for a title just produce a bill of sale and claim it has no title. We have some screwed up laws here.

Yea, as I mentioned, make sure nothing mentions PA. The title must be a VA title signed by the VA owner. Same for a Bill of Sale if OH requires one. Make sure VA seller's signature(s) are notorized in VA if OH requires notary. TN does not require notarized title or a bill of sale, but check with OH DOT and see what they need. Better to do the work on the front end, trust me.

Don't know PA laws, but dealt with their DOT a couple of times and they were much nicer and responded faster than TN DOT. TN DOT sucks!

Having lived in South Jersey and put up with their motor vehicle department, I will now take donuts to the girls in the local BMV here in Hoosierland.........unbelievable difference. Here they're actually helpfull and friendly.

i think im just gonna pass on the deal....im a little worried....the guy seems really nice and sincere....

this is the deal.....the guy in pa is a semi truck driver who hauled it from his friends house in virginia to pa to his house to sell for him.......hes having the his friend get the title notarized in virginia and mailing it to him.....in turn the buyer fills in the rest and done...........

.......but im thinking.....not done.....alotta taxes and paperwork and phone calls for me(the ohio buyer)
......i may pass on this deal and wait for a deal in my state......i refuse to pay tax twice!.....oh well....my heart was set on it but there will be another i guess.

Having lived in South Jersey and put up with their motor vehicle department, I will now take donuts to the girls in the local BMV here in Hoosierland.........unbelievable difference. Here they're actually helpfull and friendly.
oh yea!!!....donuts work!!!...i was in sales many years back.....a box a donuts will get you the key to the city :)

Hate to see you lose out on a good deal, but be wary of these "selling for a friend" or "my aunt just got divorced and I'm selling for her" deals. They are all over Craigslist and are scams. Why is a truck driver (always on the go and probably never home or has no home) selling for his friend? Why doesn't the friend sell his own bike? Why didn't the friend sign the title and give to the truck driver along with the bike in the first place . . . if they are true friends? Also, if the price seems too good to be true, look out!
Hmmm, I'm not saying it's not legit, but as Mr. Bultaco said, reds flags are flying. Since he's on the road often, you could tell the truck driver to bring you the bike, notarized clear VA title and VA notarized bill of sale and that you will take a look at the bike and all off the paperwork and then make a decision whether to purchase. If he agrees, ask to see his commercial driver license and write down his license number in case fraud is discovered later. Put the burden on the seller and see how he responds. Or as you said, move on and find one with a more straightforward sales transaction. Buying out of state from an individual is usually fine, but having two sellers and/or two different states involved can bite you in the behind! Good luck!

Michigan is not bad to deal with, you can hold or jump a title easily with just about any signatures or dates on the title, just as long as you have the title. I have one title with a lien from a bank that closed doors about 30 years ago that was never signed off by the bank, I don't know how this will be resolved. I have another bike that was bought for parts without a title, but took a different path, that I will want to register sometime. I can get a title by having the bike appraised at a licensed motor vehicle dealership and then the state will do a search to determine if it was ever stolen, all of this after I make a statement that the seller of this bike has moved and I have no recourse to contact the seller again. This procedure is a well kept secret at the Secretary of State Office and they claim no knowledge of the procedure unless you really press them, then the necessary forms just happen to appear from a drawer, center stage at the front desk.

Scott

Last edited:
Back