Neutral light stays on in gear

DozerDan

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had some electrical gremmins that I tracked down and thought I fixed. Cleaned my rotor and replaced the fuse block with a blade style set up. Bike is running better than it ever has.

However I found this (see picture) broken wire/jumper/ what ever it is. I soldered it back together. From what I can see from the wiring diagram it has something to do with the rear light???

Any ideas on why after changing my fuse box my neutral light stays on?

82 heritage special

Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• 20150825_235346.jpg
    20150825_235346.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 223
No have not looked at the switch yet, seems odd that it would appear at the same time that the other work was done.

In your pic it looks like a blue wire with a white tracer, The only blue/white wire runs from the starter relay to the start button. There shouldn't be a connector like that in the blue/white wire.
The neutral light gets power from the brown wire that powers most of the bike. Power comes to the bulb then goes out on a sky blue wire down to the neutral switch where the switch grounds the sky blue wire to light the light.
The neutral switch also grounds a circuit that includes the side stand switch, the side stand relay, a starting circuit cut relay and a diode. Those two wires you rehooked might be for the diode. A diode is an electrical one way valve. It only lets electricity flow one way. If you put just a wire in there then electricity can flow both ways. This may let it ground through the side stand relay. Try unhooking those wires and see if things act ok.
The wire you show may be blue with a yellow tracer. That's the color of the wires to the diode shown in the wiring diagram.
This circuit is designed to shut off the engine if you put the bike in gear with the side stand down.
If you want to put a diode in there I think most any d4001 would work. Put bullet connectors on both ends of a diode then plug it into those wires. If the neutral light acts ok then the diode is in right, if not reverse the diode.
Leo

Thanks Leo. I assume there may have been some diode or resistor in there, it was broken though so I reconnected it. I think this may be where I am having issues. I will try unplugging it and playing around with the volt meter some.

Good information, I should be able to track it down better with it.

Thanks!

Dan

So I went out and tinkered a bit with it. The wire from the front of the bike is light blue, no tracer, the rearward one is blue with yellow tracer. I eliminated the 'diode' and it seems to be working fine again.

If I am understanding correctly all that that serves to do is to activate the kick stand safety? There for there is no negative effects of just leaving those wires disconnected? I took it out for a spin, and other than a close call with a deer everything seems to be working just fine.

Prior to messing with the electric I adjusted the valves, and WOW what a difference in the pep of the bike. This bike used to be hard pressed to hit 65, now it has no issues climbing past 80.

Back