Neutral switch removal

takehikes

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I’m looking to remove the neutral light switch and plug the hole. Thought I’d ask for particulars or suggestions before I dive in. I’m curious what the threads are so I can plug it with something shiny!

If it's leaking, you can use mini-vice grips to lightly crimp it in 8 places around the edge to make the black plastic seal against the bottom of the housing again

If it's leaking, you can use mini-vice grips to lightly crimp it in 8 places around the edge to make the black plastic seal against the bottom of the housing again
No I want to remove it and replace it with a threaded plug. I just dont know if pulling it out affects anything else.

If I took the neutral switch out of any of the 3 XS’s that I own I know for sure I would never know that they were in neutral. Some shift a little tricky especially when standing still.

Why not just remove it and use a thread gauge and measure the threads on the switch?
thread gauge.jpg

Should be able to find a metric thread gauge at any good hardware store or maybe even some place like Harbor Freight or Home Depot!

Perhaps possible to take the plug to the hardware store and hold the replacement bolt same outer diameter against the plug
looking against the light checking so it is the same pitch

Now for problems if it is a model or MC with a check that neutral is in before starting if you remove the neutral switch which is an electrical mechanical device. I would assume that the electrical signal that is enabling the startup is missing and the bike wont start. Safety protection.
If it is an older model .It can be a surprice going for a full force kickstart while in gear
and on kick stand .the bike will jump forward and perhaps fold the kickstand. You are then .Trying to wrestle the bike up again
And If failing soon be on the internet trying to find a new blinker and shiftpedal

Last edited:
Back