New Bike, Cluster of Problems...Where to start?

NewestOnTheBlock

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the forums and i'm looking for some insight. Just got a 79' (I think, or maybe 80') XS650.

Just got the bike from a relative. He was planning on doing a full restoration but he has no time on his hands, so I got it for next to nothing. He says he got the bike in running condition, but it needed some "TLC". The bike had not been ran since March, and has been sitting in the garage.

So today I took the bike out. First thing, I charged the battery (I believe the one in it is from walmart?). Next, I noticed their was no motor oil, He gave me 3 quarts of 20w50 and so I put in 2 bottles (walmart brand i think). Had some trouble getting the bike to start, but eventually it did. Warmed it up for 5 minutes or so, got a full tank of gas, then took it out in the local neighborhood.

The first 20-30 minutes were great. The bike was responsive, great acceleration, great breaking. I was ecstatic over it. I decided to take the bike out a little farther, while still staying on the side roads in case anything happened.

From here, everything went downhill. What should have been less than a hour ride turned into nearly 3 hours. The bike broke down maybe 4-6 times, I had horrible trouble starting the bike each time, and the revs were all over the board. Everything that felt great in the first part of the ride was now horrible..........Thankfully the brakes we're still functioning normally.......or should I say reliably.

Here is what I noticed......

A) At random points (fast, slow and/or cruising) the bike would act as if it was running out of gas. I made sure the gas valve from the tank was open, and of course I had a full tank. Eventually it would "flutter" and then just go dead. Both the engine/motor and the electrical. At which point I would pull over, and attempt to start it again via electrical/kick start. This took between 5-10 minutes each time. I could go maybe go 1/2mile to 2 miles between each start before it would die again.

B) The battery seemed weak and unable to hold a charge. Starting the bike each time made me nervous because I can see it gradually lose what little charge it had left. Eventually turning over just once or twice (if "turning over" is the proper terminology).I was told that the XS650 had a not-so-great charging system, but how bad is it? I imagine the combination of a walmart-brand battery and charging system played a big part in this.

C) The revs we're all over the place after the first 30 minutes. Prior it would idle between 1200-1500. Either during the ride and/or when I started the bike up again, it would sky rocket up to 4000-5000 rpm and stay up there. I would have to turn the bike off, wait a few minutes and try again. Sometimes it would bring it back down to 1200-1500rpm, sometimes it would not and I would have to repeat. Additionally, when it was idling at those high rpm's, when I would rev it it would respond. But, it would stay at the highest point and very....VERY.... slowly come back down. Example: Say its ideling at 4500rpm, I would burp it up to 6000rpm. It would then stay at 6000 for 3-6 seconds and very slowly return back to 4500rpm.

D) When I eventually (and pain-stakingly) got back home, I noticed a oil leak. Coming from the left side, near the head of the engine. Nothing large, not pouring out. But still obvious enough to catch my attention. This I expected from a bike this old. I do not think the engine has ever been rebuilt.

E) I forgot to mention, Prior to taking out the bike, when I was preparing to ride (charging battery, adding motor oil) I took a look at the oil filter. I was told that it could be taken out, washed and reused. When I pulled it out, I noticed metal shavings, even what looked like gold bristle shavings? like from a metal brush....

What do you guys make of this? is each issue related or a problem of their own?

Is it worth it to fix up this bike? I keep asking myself that. The first 30minutes we're fantastic and everything I could imagine. The last 2+ hours was a night mare. I understand some work will be needed, and thats understandable. But where is the cutoff? I honestly would like to get this bike in good running condition.

Go to tech, read the I just bought it now what? thread. Yes you bought a project the seller SAID it was a project. Lets see some pics or tell us the VIN so we know what you have. There are several differences from 79 to 80, points vs TCI ignition, BS38 vs BS34 carbs, combined voltage regulator rectifier are the biggies.

You will need to do electrical 101 charge the battery load test it. use a volt meter check the charging system wiring, connections, fuse box.. Remove and clean petcocks replace fuel lines remove and clean, set the carbs. Front brake needs to be overhauled. Steering and swing arm bearings usually need to be replaced. It's possible the front cam chain guide is shot. You looked at the side filter, the sump filter is where the real "tea leaves" are.
Also read up on retorque head bolts.
Welcome to the site, yes old bikes are big projects before those endless backroad rides with no worries are a reality.

Many folks think they have it beat when they get the motor to run. As Gary said, you need to go through this thing very well before riding it around. I spent 3 weeks on mine before even trying to start it. I started by reading a LOT here so I knew what I was looking for as I went. Every machine is different, and you are fortunate to have a great resource here for finding out anything you could ever want to know about these. Immerse yourself in the tech section and move forward with confidence, but check everything, not just that it will start and go down the road for a while.

The heart of these bikes is the electrical system. I recommend you focus on getting the charging system working 100% before you chase the many other problems you will have.

Use the Tech section on the site here to research your bike. You have to determine what year you have. Also use the Google custom search in upper left corner.

Read everything you can to learn about the alternator, brushes, regulator, and rectifier. You will need to use a VOM to measure voltage and resistance. If you aren't familliar with a VOM, do some reading/web search to understand them.

If it is an 80 It has the TCI ignition. From the sound of your symptoms it sounds like your charging system is at a low level. It may be charging a bit but not enough. Your first bit of riding on a fully charged battery were good but as you ran the battery wasn't recharging. As the battery voltage dropped lower the TCI started to act up. The TCI is very voltage sensitive, it needs a full 12 volts plus to work right. Once the battery voltage drops below the 12 volt point it won't function right.
As RG said get the alternator working properly and most of your problems will be fixed.
Once you get the alternator fixed you may find the carbs need work. www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf will help with them.
Is the bike worth the effort of fixing? Yes, the things you describe are not to hard to fix. It will just take some time testing the bike to find the problems. If it ran well for a short time it can run well for longer. You just need to test things to find the problem.
Up at the top of the page click the XS650 TECH button. Scroll down to Electrical. Find the thread on testing the charging system, follow the steps. As you move through the process you will find things wrong, just fix the things as you find them. It could be as simple as a dirty connection some where.
Only testing will find the problems.
Fully charge your battery and see if it runs better. If so this indicates the charging system isn't charging as well as it should.
Leo

Back