New fork springs

Royboy

many roads, little time
Reaction score
North Central MN / Gold Canyon AZ (seasonal tramp)

My 77'D has the original fork springs. Mileage is around 6500 total. Front is lowered 1" using Hugh's spacers. I weigh 130#. I feel like the front is weak and kinda saggy compared to the other bikes in the stable. This bike has the standard 77' adjustable preload pieces above the springs currently set on the lightest setting of the three available. How do I know if I need new springs? Any typical tell tale signs I should be looking for?

roy

The stock springs were never exceptional even when new. I heartily recommend new straight-rate springs tuned to your weight. The handy Race Tech spring rate calculator page shows a 130lb rider on a 425lb semi-wet bike requiring 0.838 kg/mm springs, which is a reasonably firm setup!

The preload adjustment is really just there to set static sag, not actually adjust how stiff/soggy the front end feels.

'77 forks wouldn't have the pre-load cap but it could have be swapped on. Also the damper rods differ from all the later 35mm forks .....

7778DamperRods.jpg

So does the oil weight spec. For some reason, the '77 forks called for 20 wt. All later forks called for 10. It may have something to do with the beveled oil holes in the '77 damper rods. An engineer buddy of mine told me beveled holes flow more.

Back