New Game: Old Garage Photo w/your XS

couple around Baraboo. Authenticity varies.

View attachment 104014 View attachment 104015 View attachment 104016 View attachment 104017 View attachment 104018 View attachment 104019

2,3,6 are or were "from the day" 4,5 are repo's or transplants. The mansion is an original Ringling Circus family home.
Gary has been busy !!
I really like the Hometown Auto Repair place.
So, you've got 22 points for #2 and #3.
#4 is kind of a re-pop roadside attraction, but a nice sign. Would look great in my front yard.

Another game could be Get a Pic of Your XS at a Classic Original Diner.

WowDude, now look what 2M's done.
You're going to have to create a spreadsheet to keep track of all the points......lol.

Alright, read em and weep boys! I went on a two and a half hour safari looking for old gas stations / garage. As I stated before most of the old buildings have been repurposed into something else. Some are just shuttered. But look at the tell tale structures, the portico, the small office right out front next to the pumps, and they all have the cement island where the pumps stood. So here we go, historic downtown Avondale Az established in 1880,
IMG_5211.JPG

IMG_5212.JPG

IMG_5213.JPG

This was across the street, I just threw this in cause it's cool.
IMG_5217.JPG

IMG_5224.JPG

From there I rode to Buckeye Az established 1888.

IMG_5227.JPG

This one you have to look through all the cars, it's a garage now but you can see the old service station in there
IMG_5229.JPG

Here is a Shell station still pumping gas, they have tacked on a bunch of cheesy looking buildings and shuttered the original office. It looks to be from the early 60's. Probably a Texaco station originally. My bike is at the pump on the right side.
IMG_5233.JPG

This one is really cool, and pretty old. It's now a U-Haul rental and they have added in to the original structure. Check out the Art Deco detail above the pumps. And the very small original one car garage behind the pumps. I think those pumps are more modern replacements for something very early.
IMG_5235.JPG

Anybody's guess what this was.
IMG_5236.JPG

Same with this one, turned into a convenience store, which is closed.
IMG_5238.JPG

Now my favorite, very very old. Outside of town on what was the old highway. Only had one pump and looked to have living quarters on the property behind. From the 30's? Maybe even the late 20's?

IMG_5240.JPG

IMG_5239.JPG

So that was my morning. I began to realize it's pretty easy to spot old gas stations once you realize what you're looking for. It's funny I've ridden right past all these buildings in the past and never even noticed them.
Bob

Last edited:
Thanks Daniel I really had a lot of fun doing this. But I risked life and limb going into old Avondale which is now a bit of a barrio. I got chased by stray dogs and some of the locals were giving me the stink eye! Haha!
I took a bunch of photos that were not garage related that I will post separately.

Alright, read em and weep boys! I went on a two and a half hour safari looking for old gas stations / garage. As I stated before most of the old buildings have been repurposed into something else. Some are just shuttered. But look at the tell tale structures, the portico, the small office right out front next to the pumps, and they all have the cement island where the pumps stood. So here we go, historic downtown Avondale Az established in 1880,
View attachment 104095
View attachment 104096
View attachment 104097
View attachment 104098
View attachment 104099

View attachment 104100
This one you have to look through all the cars, it's a garage now but you can see the old service station in there
View attachment 104102
Here is a Shell station still pumping gas, they have tacked on a bunch of cheesy looking buildings and shuttered the original office. It looks to be from the early 60's. Probably a Texaco station originally. My bike is at the pump on the right side.
View attachment 104103
This one is really cool, and pretty old. It's now a U-Haul rental and they have added in to the original structure. Check out the Art Deco detail above the pumps. And the very small original one car garage behind the pumps. I think those pumps are more modern replacements for something very early.
View attachment 104104
View attachment 104105
View attachment 104106
Now my favorite, very very old. Outside of town on what was the old highway. Only had one pump and looked to have living quarters on the property behind. From the 30's? Maybe even the late 20's?

View attachment 104107
View attachment 104109
So that was my morning. I began to realize it's pretty easy to spot old gas stations once you realize what you're looking for. It's funny I've ridden right past all these buildings in the past and never even noticed them.
Bob
Excellent !!
What a search you have done, Bob !
And you are a craftsman with the camera.
You've presented all of us with quite a challenge in this game.

Just got home from an all-day ride, so I'll have to do the "fun point scoring " a bit later.

View attachment 104095
View attachment 104096
View attachment 104097
View attachment 104098
View attachment 104099

View attachment 104100
View attachment 104102
View attachment 104103
View attachment 104104
View attachment 104105
View attachment 104106

View attachment 104107
View attachment 104109
Bob
...and I've enjoyed the "storyline" behind the pictures. Wish we had a video of you being chased by the dogs....:laugh2:

One site over the years, Thanks to Joe Ward of Baraboo and his excellent city history.
christians.jpg

When I moved to Baraboo in 1968 it was still Premo's, went to school With the younger Premo a friend today.
christians2.jpg

2017 Dick Christian took over the location in 1976 and is running it today.
DSCN7831.JPG

Last edited:
One site over the years, Thanks to Joe Ward of Baraboo and his excellent city history.
View attachment 104171
When I moved to Baraboo in 1968 it was still Premo's, went to school With the younger Premo a friend today.
View attachment 104172
2017 Dick Christian took over the location in 1976 and is running it today.
View attachment 104173

Dang the original building was so beautiful, why would they turn it into that generic looking box?

Dang the original building was so beautiful, why would they turn it into that generic looking box?
It's endemic there are near countless old Baraboo brick commercial buildings that have been "modernized" with pole barn metal and the like.
Just on broadway there were at least 6 service stations that are gone or severely modernized. We do still have this....

16487228_10210625768179262_5074457750365355390_o.jpg

MarianKrausPhoto-10web1-960x300.jpg

Back