New Game: Old Garage Photo w/your XS

Another tiny, old, discontinued gas station on the east side of town.
The 89 year old owner has his 1945 Farmall up for sale.
View attachment 104376

The big downtown station. Repurposed as a real estate office.
You can just see the gasoline cart. Pump your own fuel.
View attachment 104377

Yessir. 2 gallons. Want some acreage with that?
.Just when I was thinking that this Garage Game was fading, 2M comes through !

I took the '75 out for its first long cruise on Tuesday, down to Georgetown, about an hour away.
It is deep in Madison County, where the bovine population far outnumbers humanity.
The Predmore "Gen'ral" Store dates back to about 1920 and still pumps gas, including Non-eth!
The interior was dingey, and decorated with signs like, "Go ahead and call me a Bitch, I'm proud of who I am", and "This counter is serviced by just one person, and TODAY IS NOT YOUR F*CKING DAY !!"
I got the most disturbing half sub sandwich of my lifetime. She had folded the wrapping paper INTO the sandwich, and misconstrued "extra tomato" for extra mayo and black olives. It rapidly became a bizarre salad.

But, did I complain ?
I was warned ahead of time; that was NOT my f*cking day.
Great ride, tho.

75xs650 017.JPG

75xs650 018.JPG

I got the most disturbing half sub sandwich of my lifetime. She had folded the wrapping paper INTO the sandwich, and misconstrued "extra tomato" for extra mayo and black olives.
There was a gas station that made sandwiches and everybody in the area would line up there at lunchtime. Mine included a full blown direct hit sneeze, then she started wrapping it. As I backed out the door I heard her co-worker wondering to her if it had to do with the sneeze...

If it isn't already obvious, I get all misty-eyed when I discover old General Stores. To get to Russell's in Bovina, NY, central Catskills, take rt 10 south of Stamford which runs along the valley created by the West Branch of the Delaware River (great fishin' !) . Take a left onto Rt. 18, which is a winding country road next to the river. Just past South Kortwright, take a left, straight up the mountain. It is SO steep that it disables old cars, and there is no way to stop and put the kick stand down. Yesterday, I stopped in the gravel shoulder, and turned off the FJR, balancing the bike, brake on, while turning around 180 to snap the picture of the Valley behind, around the corner from Russell's. Got a charlie horse doing this, and almost dropped the bike.

021.JPG

You can smell the fresh baked goods in the oven as you approach. I go for the oatmeal raisin cookie and cold milk.
Gas pump out front no longer works.

024.JPG

58d74ba1367422a2-PelletierRussellStorephotos004.jpg

There has been a store at this location since 1823. At this time‚ James Cowan opened a general mercantile shop. He was also a school teacher and at one time the Town Justice. He sold his business in 1846 to Robert Murray. Mr. Murray‚ besides being a merchant‚ was a builder. Ownership then passed to Thomas E. Hastings who erected some new buildings in 1870. A feed store was operated behind the present store. The old foundation of this building can still be seen. In 1893‚ Andrew T. Doig took over the business and operated it until selling it to Cecil H. Russell in 1919. The store remained in the Russell family until their daughter Margorie Russell passed away.

26a9ce5a30bc8b6e8d38e4249036f190--russell-delaware.jpg

There were a number of people there, yesterday. The cook was very busy, so he told me to go behind the counter, get my own cookie, take a coffee mug from the shelf, and scrounge up my milk in the fridge. "Pay me later," he said with a smile.

022.JPG

The interior is quite original, including the birds-eye maple butcher-block counters.
The cookie is soft and warm.
Penny candy in the jars.

023.JPG

Many of these old stores have burned down from the use of wood stoves and ovens.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of a general store in central Ky. It's actually needed, since the nearest town would be around 20 mi away.
DSCI0500.png

I like this picture. The bike is at the extreme far right, so it counts. Interestingly this is near Blue Licks, Ky. in the area where Daniel Boone famously recaptured his daughter from the Indians after days of tracking.
DSCI0001.png

Most of the old beauties around here have fallen victim to the wreckers ball but here is what was originally an old 'Supertest' station from 1929 in the 'Old South' area of London. Unfortunately I have been unable to track down a pic of the original station, but will check with the local historical society when I get a chance.

Supertest Petroleum was an oil and gas company in Canada that operated from 1923 to 1973. Its head office was in London, Ontario. It marketed itself as "Canada's All-Canadian Company", and was acquired by BP Canada in 1971.

upload_2017-8-13_16-3-39.jpeg
images

IMG_20170813_124144.jpg

Hey, Robins getting in the game! Nice one. Yeah that's the same problem I run into, I'm lucky if I can find an old service station that has been converted to another business.
Well, then, we'll just have to have a "New Game Phase II, Old Garages Converted To Something Else."

Good excuse to put some miles on today, Near perfect mid 70's light overcast. Planned for 120 miles but took some shortcuts and ended up at 200.
First in a corner of a building is Monticello, WI a friend told me about it. Sunday and the stations weren't open so didn't get any background.
Second was a store in the tiny village of Calamine she's showing her age...
Third is an active station in Platteville it's in the Book Fill'er up : the glory days of Wisconsin gas stations
DSCN7880.JPG

DSCN7882.JPG

DSCN7884.JPG

Last edited:
Gary, crushing the competition! Man that second building looks like it's ready to fall down. Good thing you didn't park too close!
Nice shots Gary! And a wonderful excuse to go for a ride in a beautiful day!

The corner supports on that one building had better be massive.

Great photos, Gary!
It was perfect riding weather here in NY, too. I was out all day, but no interesting stuff seen to share :(

I occasionally ride over to Harper, a sleepy town that's trying, but not quite making it as a tourist trap.

An old stonefront station, converted and enlarged.
Behrends ranch and feed supply.
HCride-20170819-01.jpg

Another abandoned station.
HCride-20170819-02.jpg

Another old stone station, now Tatsch auto parts and extended service garage.
HCride-20170819-03.jpg

Last edited:
This dilapidated old turn-of-the-century country store + gas pump in Conesville, NY, has been run by an elderly woman for more than 50 years, "all by myself", she had told me a number of times when I stopped in for a Klondike bar and a chat. She came over from "the Old Country" with her parents seeking good fortune, but they died within 2 years, leaving her alone. She soon fell in love with a man, they married, but he beat her. "If he hadn't died within a year, I would swear I would have killed him".

The building has an unusually asymmetrical shape with a mysterious second-floor door:
005.JPG

LIttle bird-house cornices.

005.5.jpg

The last time I visited her she threatened to close the place and put it up for sale. The economy was too poor.
When I came by last week, it was, indeed, closed.

005.7.jpg

Back