New guy starting a modern cafe build

corey5988

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So my back story is, I started riding bikes on my dad's old V45 Honda Magna. When I turned 18 I picked myself up a Suzuki TL1000R. I also later traded an atv for a Honda 750 Shadow ACE. I got married and had to let the 1000 go. I totally regret it, as the marriage was short lived. I still have the 750, but ready for something a bit sportier. Luck had it I had bought an XS650 several years back that I had planned on using for a frame up bobber. It's been sitting since I unloaded it. After seeing an awesome Triumph cafe a few months ago, I knew what I wanted.

The new project will be a modernized cafe/street fighter type bike. I have already ordered a stock XS650 frame & swingarm. I will be using a Cognito Moto conversion steering stem to mount a set of late model GSXR trees and forks. I will have an aggressive stance with low slung clip-on and rearsets. Out back I plan on using a CBR Showa shock to mod up a monoshock setup. A traditional round, small cafe tail will be used. As for wheels I plan on running early model sport bike wheels with a 150-160 out back.

D39CCBA5-4E99-45AE-B4E2-DCCC78973CD0_zpsin4t35rk.jpg

That was a very slick outfit you had there. I had to go through the whole thread, caught my interest. My frame and swingarm came in today. I also had an '01 GSXR600 lower triple tree come in the other day. Got it for $12 to the door. I'm not sure if I'll use it or go with a newer inverted fork setup like originally intended. I also tossed on an RD350 or RD400 (not sure which) tank I've had laying around for a few years.

68FF800D-D8B2-4783-89E1-29F13077A452_zpscxuockyg.jpg

D4E4C244-8B6C-4911-96BB-92A3795B6A2F_zpsxvmqs5fh.jpg

I'm going to try to keep this a tight budget. My list so far is.......

RD fuel tank - free
XS650 frame/swingarm/triple trees - $325
'01 GSX-R600 lower triple tree - $12
'06 FZ6 swingarm and shock - $70

Last edited:
Is that an already documented swap? Ive searched and searched the topic, but never seen that one. You doing a build thread?

No, it's not a swap I found either, but it looks pretty close (eyeballing it). No build thread yet either, but I will once i really dig in. Current plans are for a big tank, ZR750 Zephyr forks (because I already have them), the afore mentioned swingarm, 18" FJ600 wheels, rearsets from a ZR750, and a custom seat cowl.

Back