New guy

Griz

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
hello folks! Long time bike rider, part time mechanic, no time on the internet. Bare with me. I have an 83'. I know a good deal about cars, a little about bike and nothing about Internet forums. but it's all the same right?! I have an 83' I think. Manufacturers date is 10/82. I have most everything I need I just need to connect the dots. I think the first thing I need to do is the wiring. It's all missing and has a few harnesses that came with the bike. I need help!!!:umm:

Welcome to the site Griz! To get you started on the loom click this link.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/some-wiring-diagrams.61/
Scroll down to post #7. It has some wiring diagrams, you want the next to last one. It will be for the SJ/SK models.
Notice the couplings all are different shapes, this will help you match the correct components and tell you if you have a SJ/SK harness in hand.
After you find it we can help you get it laid to the frame correctly.
Good luck.

Welcome to the site Griz! To get you started on the loom click this link.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/some-wiring-diagrams.61/
Scroll down to post #7. It has some wiring diagrams, you want the next to last one. It will be for the SJ/SK models.
Notice the couplings all are different shapes, this will help you match the correct components and tell you if you have a SJ/SK harness in hand.
After you find it we can help you get it laid to the frame correctly.
Good luck.
Great! Thank you! I've got a manual to refer to as well. I spent last night laying everything out and getting organized. Any ideas on how to decode a vin# on this thing?

Other than to identify the year? No.
The "tech" tab on the tool bar contains a link to vin identification and other special threads if you haven't found it yet.

Ok, great. Just going over what I have and right off the bat I can tell I'm missing a fuse block, is this absolutely necessary? It might be cool to have fusible links? Is this a ridiculous thought? Where could I pick something like this up? Other than that I THINK I have everything else, starter solenoid, ignition module. I've got a harness for charging and for ign.. I'm currently studying my Haynes manual starting at the beginning. Who knew Yamaha began in 1887? That surprised me, what I didn't know was it was initially a reed company. Go figure?! Thanks for the response week!

Welcome Griz. As for circuit protection they do have curcuit breakers for vehicals. Harley-Davidsons use them. At least my FX Shovelheads did. I'm using car fuses of the larger, not the micro, colored ones. Thanks for posting pics. Looks like a good base to start with.

I'm back. Done my homework on the vin. My motor matches the frame. So I have an 82' sj. Originally "new Yamaha black" . The harnesses that I have plug into a lot of the existing plugs. I'm missing an ignition switch. I did a quick search on the lowbrow website and found these universal switches. IMG_2843.JPG IMG_2842.JPG It only needs three wires, blue, brown, red. Guess I'd also need a bracket for this too? Any suggestions? Thoughts, feelings, insults?

I'm back. Done my homework on the vin. My motor matches the frame. So I have an 82' sj. Originally "new Yamaha black" . The harnesses that I have plug into a lot of the existing plugs. I'm missing an ignition switch. I did a quick search on the lowbrow website and found these universal switches. View attachment 107325 View attachment 107326 It only needs three wires, blue, brown, red. Guess I'd also need a bracket for this too? Any suggestions? Thoughts, feelings, insults?

Hi Griz,
I'd suggest that you'd do best replacing any missing parts with used XS650 parts rather than buying new generics that most likely won't work right.
I think your best source for such items is this list's classifieds section.
I feel that you'd better check the tires' build dates and then perhaps budget for new ones.
As for an insult, how could I? Betcha I've done stupider things than accept a free bike, eh?

Back