New member and bobber owner

RelyK

XS650 Member
Reaction score
What's up everyone. I've just started my first XS650 build, I signed up so I could check out the forums and get some inspiration for my new build project. I'm a 5th year college student and I've been wanting to get a bike for a long time. Originally looking into modern naked bikes like the Ducati Monster and Triumph Speed Triple until I came across an awesome project for a 1976 XS650 bobber project. It's flat black/red powdercoated with a 5" stretch and mustang tank. Just needs an engine and assembly so I figured what better way to get a first bike than building a classic that I can really make my own. I used to work on hot rod quarter mile dragsters with my family when I was a teenager and have most of the tools to get it done. Anyways, thought I'd introduce myself before I start checking out the site and posting around. I'll post pics when I can

Welcome to the board. You will find lots of help on here. Many have done the same. Hope you got good paper with the bike.
Leo

Just got the bike today. Made sure it had the matching title. I'll be taking some pics here in a bit. May start an XS1100 project too. Found a frame with engine and wheels for 75 so Im going to see what that might look like as a hardtail

Hey Everyone! I wanted to post a few photo's up to document the progress of my bike

300560_10150814892880705_842850704_20600016_426102188_n.jpg

544860_10151442011910705_842850704_23263513_946925357_n.jpg

The second photos is how the bike sits as of last night. Still needs work, does anyone have any tips on wiring the electronics? It's just got an ignition, brake light and headlight that need to be done.

What's up Rogue, yea the engine is transferred and it runs! I'm going to make it kick only but it still needs some work. How's your project going?

That's awesome you got it running! Keep posting pictures of your progress. I've got most of my frame set up, I am waiting on tires and then I will be able to assemble my wheels, and will be starting on my engine rebuild soon. I don't have a thread just yet, but probably once i get my rolling frame set up.

BTW, you probably have more parts than I do at this point, but if you need something, let me know and maybe I can help out in some way.

I think I've got most of it. At this point it's really more poking around making sure everythings good. I need to set up the throttle cable and get the brake lines on it. Install the headlamp and order a brake light, wire them both. I think it should be good after that, but I may be overlooking some things (hope not).

I think you will need more than an ignition, head and tail light. They need a source of power. That power comes from the battery. You need a way to charge the battery so you need a charging system. That's the way the stock bike was set up.
If you want to minimize the charging system and battery you can do a PMA and cap.
Leo

Back