New Member decoding a new project

wwitten

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
Although not new to vehicle restoration, going to start my first cycle project. Just aquired what I believe to be based upon the frame number 447-007XXX, gas tank, covers, and passenger pegs a 1974 TX650A. The engine number though is 447-715XXX and based upon the linked BS38 carbs is possibly a XS650D model engine? Were there that many XS650D's produced or was this just a replacement engine that someone ordered?
Just wondering...now out to the garage for the first step, pulling the tank off for a cleaning.
Thanks
Bill

Welcome to our little corner of the XS650 world.
As easy as these engines swap out. A po just swapped in a later engine instead of repairing what was there. Mechanically the engines are identical. There are a few small details between the two. Cam chain tensioner comes to mind. Corrected dip stick another.
From my references your right, a 74 TX650A bike, a 76 XS650 D engine.
Most people wouldn't notice it wasn't the 74 engine unless they look very close.
I like the 76-77 carbs. I think they are the best of the BS38's. They are linked and easy to work with. The earlier were seperated, two cables. The later 78-79 carbs had some major changes in them that makes them harder to work with. The slides, needles, needle jets are just used those two years.
The linked carbs are easier to maintain than the 74's unlinked carbs. The two throttle cables are harder to adjust and they stretch differently so the need adjustment more often to maintain carb sync.
Up at the top of the page you will find the TECH section. Clicking this will lead you to a list of catagories and topics. Scroll down to Maintainance and Trouble shooting, topic Buying Guide, Getting to Know Your bike.
This links to a thread that gives you a lot of basic knowledge about your bike, what to look for, what to expect.
The Tech section has much to offer.
Reading there and doing a search on questions that pop up will help you along the way. If you still have questions or find something that is hard to understand feel free to ask.
This site is a vast storehouse of XS650 knowledge.
Leo

Thanks for the welcome Leo. So far have found alot of great info here. Also thanks for verifying my thoughts on what I have to start with. I like the linked BS38 carbs too so I'm glad for the engine replacement/upgrade. So far just putting together a parts list of things missing broken etc. Gas tank actually looks great for its age, a little cleaning and she should be ready to go. Drained the oil and the filter/drain plugs had some metal shaving, but nothing too bad. Will do a compression test and drop the sump pan next.

Back