New member from CANADA....need info on ‘76 side stand..where to buy?

vufromlu

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello fellow bikers...My first Yamaha from a long list of other bikes.
Bought a 76 xs650 and prior owner did not have correct sidestand.
Where can I find a used or new one? All research comes up as “not available” and there seems to be so many different part numbers. Can anyone help?
Thx and looking forward to the journey.

Hi Jim, Thanks so much. I had gone to multiple places to search part numbers and got at least 3 different ones (some said “superceded by” and some “not available”) The 1977 stand is easily available but not the 76. I bought the bike but not delivered yet and just planning all my next moves. I just wonder if the owner purchased slightly modified exhaust and then cut off the part that curls up so you can access the stand from sitting on the bike- which is not possible now. I figured I would buy a new one but you and could return it if it did not fit properly. Ebay is a bit of “wild west” for me. By the time I pay for international shipping and customs to Canada, the ebay cost would be close to the OE price with no ability to return.
But THANK-YOU so much for your response. In a world of ever-decreasing humanity and “me me culture” it never amazes me how motorcycles can bring great people together!
Cheers from Toronto!

I edited your thread title, the Canadian mafia will be by shortly to fix you up. :laugh: Odds are someone broke off the long tang, a replacement can easily be ground from a bolt, bent to shape and welded on.:wink2:

That may be one of your few options because the '76 stand was, I'm pretty sure, a one year only part. It could be difficult to locate even a used one .....

p13YTaj.jpg

While all the '76 and earlier stands share the clevis type mount, the '75 and earlier ones are shaped differently and I'm not sure they would fit. The '70-'73 stand is actually a cast part .....

9ZUVNdV.jpg

4bIdDcu.jpg

The '77 and later stand has a completely different mounting method, mounting on a large post on the frame, and yes, they are quite plentiful .....

EaKBvPD.jpg

Wow...this is EXCELLENT and valuable information because ebay items never are detailed enough to avoid incompatability!
I truly appreciate this info!
Thanks so much
Louis

Howdy vufromlu: I see that you're from Hogtown - gosh, I'm awfully sorry about your hockey team. :D You know, my Mom's ladies bridge club played the Leafs a little while back and beat the heck out of them. I told them to not run the score up - but those old bags just wouldn't lay-off.....:lmao:

Sorry - back to XS650s and your sidestand problem.....

As it happens, I also have a '76 XS650C and so does my riding pal, Lakeview (he lives near Chatham, ON) - but, the two bikes have different stands on them (mine appears to be stock and his is different - or just bent differently) and so what has been said earlier is quite correct. However, I suspect that the best thing to do would be to take what you have to a welder and show him the figure above in post #6 and he should be able to fabricate a new "handle" for it quite easily. Then just paint it black and you're done.

You might also need a new kickstand spring and you can find them on the web quite easily using the parts number search method given above (just put the Yamaha part number into your Google search window and you'll be amazed at what comes up).

In fact, just now I went on the Partzilla website and pulled up the same Yamaha parts sketch as shown below. Here is the linky:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1976/xs650c/stand-footrest-brake-pedal-xs650c

It turns out that the spring you might want is still available. It is Item #9 in the figure below and the Yamaha part number listed on the Partzilla website is: 90507-29009-00. It costs the princely sum of $9.49 USD from Partzilla. That means that your friendly local Yamaha dealer could also order it - or you could mail-order it from the US.

Now, the sidestand itself (Item #6 which is Yamaha P/N 447-27311-06-00 ) is NOT available, but I just cut and pasted that part number (with NO words or anything else) into my Google search window and a whole bunch of listings came up.

Are any of the listing any good? I don't know, but that part number is certainly known out there in the www.

Here's another useful factoid - if you click on the Yamaha part number in the Partzilla listing, you will get a list of all the other bikes which used THAT VERY SAME part - and it turns out that the 1976 XS650C sidestand spring was also used on about 30 other bikes - most recently a 1997 Yamaha Virago model.

The key point is that a lot of things like nuts and bolts, bearings, washers, seals, springs etc. were used on MANY different bike models - and some of those very same parts are actually still currently available from dealers. So - if you go in and ask for a "sidestand spring for the 1976 Yamaha XS650C" - they will tell you "no way Jose" but if you just ask for the part number itself, they might very well have it sitting in a box on their shelf.

p13YTaj.jpg

I don't think that anyone has mentioned yet that we really like pictures so be sure to post some of your bike as it is and how it progresses through the "wake-up" process.

Cheers, and again, sorry about your hockey team,

Pete

Last edited:
HI Pete, let me guess you're a Habs fan or Detroit? LOL>..Yes, I am a long suffering Leaf fan. It's a condition without
remedy I fear. Thanks so much for your advice. Yes, I have searched for many Ducati parts many times by simply putting in the part number
and yes, I do find many common parts (included expensive ECU's). That said, I was getting lots of dead end searches and did not know if the
seller had maybe put on A/M pipe and hence even the OE would not work. Turns out his pipes are the same and he had cut off the leg
because he felt the bike did not look right with it. He is a pretty big guy and probably handled the bike like I would handle my Vespa 150 and just dismount
and search for the side stand. I drop the side stand always when getting while still straddled- just plain habit.
If I had a welder and knew how to weld (maybe I should!!) I would not think twice about it- but I also want that part- which will be visible- to
show nicely. Hence the search for the correct one.
I ride in the northeast GTA about 50 km north of the city and westward to Guelph and north up to Wasaga.
I have a few bikes but wanted something like my first bike (75 CB55-4) but love the torque of the twin and
don't care for too much speed on this café racer type bike. I have plenty of power in my Duc and Triumph Street Triple.
This bike has a soul and is more visceral and YES- requires work to drive well! I am looking forward to the journey
Love all the feedback like yours from the club. I have been a member of many such other ones with all the various bikes
I have owned but this one will be more engaging as it brings me back to my roots.
Yes, I was 7 when The Leafs last won the CUP......Hope it my lifetime they will get it again!
cheers
Louis

Welcome vufromlu from Moncton NB Canada. Check out Old Motorcycle shop on ebay the are from Canada in Calgary I think. Here is the link as I know for sure they have a 76 center stand and would be worth an email to see if they have the side stand. I purchased a few things from them before and excellent to deal with. Good luck with the hunt and post pics of your bike we all like pics! JC

https://www.ebay.ca/str/oldmotorcycleshop

Yes, I was 7 when The Leafs last won the CUP......Hope it my lifetime they will get it again!
cheers
Louis

....I was nine Louis. Sad eh?

We’ll have to do a meetup next summer - maybe in Guelph where I have two daughters.

Pete

Thanks SEd27,
I am pretty sure this one is not compatible as the curve on the foot application portion does not have the correct curve. I am having the seller weld back a portion he cut off to make is like original.
Hopefully this problem is solved. But thanks os much for
your interest and assistance- Truly great people in this online club!

Thanks SEd27,
I am pretty sure this one is not compatible as the curve on the foot application portion does not have the correct curve. I am having the seller weld back a portion he cut off to make is like original.
Hopefully this problem is solved. But thanks os much for
your interest and assistance- Truly great people in this online club!

....but that part of the stand (i.e. the "foot-handle" thingy) is very easily modified to suit....

Back