New member from the UK

Brett

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '81 Special on ebay a couple of months back with a view to building a rigid vintage custom.

The frame is currently being converted and I stripped down the engine to do a partial rebuild and add the overdrive 5th gear (bought from Heiden Tuning).

I'm using the forks and wheels from a '73 Norton 750 Commando, or least I'm using the front end (the rear wheel has a fixed 42 tooth sprocket and no matter what I do, the gearing will be to low. So I'm using a 18" xs650 spoked wheel at the back).

Hopefully I'll be able to start putting it all together mid March.

This site has been really helpful so far, I'm sure I'll be here every day over the next few months!

Cheers
Brett

Hi Brett, welcome to another UK guy. Sounds like a good project you have started there with a bit of a twist on the Commando front.

Like to know how you get on with the 5th gear as have been thinking about doing this myself.

Thought about using the Commando rear wheel with a jackshaft? With a rigid you normally have some space there in front of the rear wheel. Just an idea. BTW, I subscribe to The Classic Motorcycle which comes from the UK and just love it. Good luck on your build.

So when the sprocket wears out on a Commando you need to get a whole new wheel? Don't make sence to me.

The sprocket is part of the drum brake, so you just need a new drum. At 42 teeth it would probably wear more slowly than 34 anyway.

Never thought about a jackshift. Interesting idea, but I want to keep it simple, so I've got an 18" drum brake rear wheel to use.

Can you machine off the old sporcket, then drill holes to use a different sprocket?

Back