New Ohio guy - 1979 XS650 Cafe Build

I thought about doing something similar, but I ended up using the drum. I didn't chase it too far down the hole, but you'll have to find a sprocket that you can bolt on, and you'll also have to check to see if it needs a spacer to line it up with the sprocket on the motor (probably needs a spacer...a large one I would think).

You can go ahead and order up a custom one from http://www.rebelgears.com/ as well, they can cut whatever you need. You'd have to figure out a spacer system, but that would just be some lathe work.

Now that I think about it, I was thinking of using a front mag on the rear... I just like the skinny look and larger diameter wheel. Front spoke would be the same sort of deal, though.

Hello from Newark. Been working on a cafe project myself. A bit of a ride for you,but there is now a "Ton-Up-Columbus" group that gets together in Dublin if you're interested. Lots of knowledgable people that might be able to help sort out the wheel mod. Personally, I've got a 79 special II which has a drum on the back and don't really see the downside of sticking with it versus trying to figure out how to get the disk setup to work. Just a thought. Butch

Hey Wolds,
I may have to check out your group sometime.

I've already got rear disk on my bike, so I'm thinking it may be easier to stick with 19" rear spoke with disk if I make the swap rather than convert back to drum.

Make sense?

If I'm reading your post right, once you have the disk mounted on the hub you still have to get it to align with your caliper right? On my bike I will be swapping out the 16" rear rim for an 18". Not sure how well a 19 will work on the back of yours. Do you know of others who have used that setup? Butch

Back