1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

New pma blues...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txbluecollar, Oct 9, 2019 at 11:04 AM.

1. txbluecollar

txbluecollar XS650 Addict

Ok guys so Ive searched through thread after thread and dont have a clear answer yet. Just got my new pma and dont have any juice. Bypassed the new capacitor first with a battery no luck. So did the ohm test on the 3 yellow stator wires and I have 0.00 across all 3. So the unit has a short. My rotor puller should come in today so I can get a better look. This an xscharge stator only because hugh doesnt have any stock. Anyone had this problem or what could I have done wrong. Pamco ignition ran fine off battery before swap

2. solo2racr

solo2racr Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow

Hence your problem.

3. txbluecollar

Yes its the only thing available unless sourced from ebay from some random seller with no tech support

4. solo2racr

OK........... Since MikesXS has "tech support", why are you here asking for help and not MikesXS??

FWIW......When I get to that stage on my build, I plan to source QUALITY Japanese made OEM parts from eBay. Even used, they are better than MikesXS.

chugg and Superjet like this.
  5. txbluecollar

Well what would this site be if everyone just went straight to the seller? Wouldnt be much how to huh? Btw I didnt use mikes I used tc bros which I like because they answer the phone. Ive already spoke with them and I wanted more feedback from the guys who have vast knowledge. Sorry I didnt source a japanese stator from ebay. Have a good day

Jim likes this.
  6. Jim

Jim I have a plan. It's something to deviate from. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Musta missed the memo... So we now gotta get your OK before we ask the forum for help? Got it. :rolleyes:

MrBultaco, timbeck and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  7. solo2racr

I believe you missed the point.:shootme:

I answered his question. He just didn't like the answer.

8. Jim

Jim I have a plan. It's something to deviate from. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Yeah... I see now. Musta misunderstood. This site is known around the world as the best source of tech help for our XS's. You didn't disappoint. "Hence your problem" needs to be stickied in the Tech section. Well done. :bow:

9. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Addict

Try disconnecting the voltage regulator, starting the bike and see if there is voltage between the stator wires and ground.
    BTW the reason he is in this mess is replacing "High Quality" Japan sourced Hitachi parts that were not that good in the first place.

Jim likes this.
  10. solo2racr

36 year (minimum) useful life (OEM part) or shit out of the box (MikesXS). Ummmmmmmm..... I wonder which is better :umm:

:laughing:

BTW Jim.....If you're gonna quote post #2, quote the entire post. Pulling things out of context to try and make your point is....well......pathetic.

11. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Junkie

If he had got a VAPE/Powerdynamo PMA, I bet he would be out riding...
    I still trust the Czech way more than the Chinese when it comes to quality.....
    (Actually shot a young bull moose last Friday, with my 1957 Brno ZG47 rifle, which has a Meopta scope. Both made in Czechoslovakia/ Czech republic. And my lathe is a TOZ SN40B, also Czech. They do make quality stuff)

TwoManyXS1Bs, gggGary and Jim like this.
  12. Jim

The context here being you saying you answered.... I quoted your answer... completely in context.

13. solo2racr

:laughing:

14. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

IMHO The forum is here to help, not blow off participants.

timbeck, TwoManyXS1Bs, GLJ and 4 others like this.
  15. solo2racr

Exactly. This isn't a gay bar. :laughing:

He asked "Anyone had this problem or what could I have done wrong" and I pointed out that the problem was that he used a XSCharge stator. It was bad from the start. I'm sorry if he didn't like that answer.

And then Jim just had to stir the pot.................

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 8:34 PM
  16. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Jim and timbeck like this.
  17. txbluecollar

The stator may actually be good I borrowed an ohm meter that goes down to 1k and can see the resistance. Ill have time tonight to dig in more

TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim and gggGary like this.
  18. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Junkie

Surely, the stator winding have less resistance than 1000 ohm? I would expect single or double digits in ohm. Insulation resistance, on the other hand, should be in the Megaohm range

Jim likes this.
  19. Jim

Every alternator stator I've ever dealt with had less than an ohm, leg to leg. Odds of all 3 legs being bad are slim. So if they all agree, it's probably good. And as arcticXS said above, make sure none are shorted to ground.

TwoManyXS1Bs, gggGary and Mailman like this.