new problems with neutral...

jomcloughlin86

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
hey guys. am new to the forum. I'm from the UK and had a 82 xs650 hardtail. it's been off the road for a number of years. I've stripped and inspected the engine and just fitted a new loom. I've not rode it yet but I have an issue with neutral. I've searched and searched but can't come across anything similar. I've found people struggling to get it I to hear but not like mine. if I click the bike into neutral. (engine off) it goes in fine. but. as soon as I roll the bike forward very slightly or begin to kick the kick start. it pops out of neutral and jumps into gear. she I first brought the bike I was told the kick was faulty. but it turned out the clutch was wound I too much so it was constantly slipping. hence hiding the neutral issue. I checked the detent and spring and they are all good. the clutch kit is new. the kick setup it all perfect. any ideas? lol forward to your input and getting this thing on the road! cheers.

Welcome to the forum, jomcloughlin86.

This is one of those situations where I'd prefer to put the bike on a centerstand, so I could roll the rear wheel while diagnosing.

First test I can think of would be to remove the detent's retainer cap, and check that the spring is at least 26mm long.

Then, put a finger atop the spring, and feel the spring's up/down movements while entering neutral, and other gears. If it doesn't move, may be a problem with the plunger entering the shiftdrum's notch...

Last edited:
yes this has all been removed and checked. I didn't try feeling with the bullets and spring so I will try that later but I did put a pick down there and felt no change whilst goo g i to neutral. I'm hoping I do t have to split the box but it's looking like I may need to.

cheers mate. yeah I read tgrough tgat already. I'll get tgat basket off tomorrow and have a proper ganders before I pull it and split it. east enough. good.tging moving from cars to bikes. everytging is alot easier to handle

Back