new state laws

Yep.. seems like when you're at a sensor light is when they decide to be courteous and stop 30ft behind you.

Travis, I have done the walk over and hit the crosswalk button lol! Done it on a pedal bike too

Edit: Lol on my way home from work I remember that I used to have my girlfriend (now ex) get off the bike and go hit the crosswalk button a couple years ago.

Last edited:
Looks like the inspection sticker part of it goes in effect Jan.1, 2012. The muffler portion starts July 1, 2010 according to an article I read.

There are several companies selling magnet devices that attach to the frame of the bike, underneath, of which one is called "Green Light Trigger". Google it for other makers. These are supposed to be enough to trigger the old style "magnetic loop" sensors.

Occasionally I like to roll back next to the person behind me and give 'em a big grin right up close to their window... that usually gets 'em moving forward.

In texas this law has been in effect for a few years. however i have NEVER seen a cop smart enough to be able to tell the difference. hell, the damn inspection stations at the local shops dont even know the difference takes too much work to look in a hot exhaust pipe!

I try to avoid the slow lights. Only problem is ones next to my bank. I usually cut through the convenience store lot or right turn on red and cut through the car dealers lot.

Try finding a 12 volt strobe light. I think that is what fire engines and cops use to trip traffic lights. Just have to figure out the frequency.

Try finding a 12 volt strobe light. I think that is what fire engines and cops use to trip traffic lights. Just have to figure out the frequency.

These devices are the reason I found out about Green Light Triggers (a magnet placed on your frame). A bill was passed here in Illinois in 2003 to make it a crime for using a device to change the light to green. We put additional wording in to exempt the magnet devices sales, as they had put $1000 fine for selling the devices that firefighters and police were using.

Last edited:
I try to stop on the seam housing the sensor wire. I can think of only one intersection locally that this doesn't work. I'll run it when it's safe.

I have driven a firetruck for 13 years. . When I have the parking brake released and the emergency lights on , a device mounted on the roof by the light bar call an Opticom is activated .
"Equipped vehicles have an emitter, which broadcasts a visible light and/or invisible infrared signal to a receiver, which is mounted on or near the traffic signal. The receiver is connected to a circuit card which is located inside of the traffic control cabinet. When the circuit card determines that the signal is valid it will activate an output which will request the green light from the traffic controller for the approaching emergency vehicle. The traffic controller will also activate the confirmation light if the intersection is so equipped (for example, a floodlight mounted on or near the traffic signal)."

http://www.tcmfd.com/stuff/opticom.html

i saw some magnet for sale at iron pony last weekend touting the fact that you would neve be stopped long at a red light again. the box art alone was enough to make me believe it was a gyp. :laugh: i run red lights anyways if they make me wait too long so it's not a big deal to me. as long as there is no traffic i just buzz on by. :yikes:

A rider on another forum (ADV rider) actually builds those sensors, he say most of the time if you can sit on the middle cut in the ashphalt (if there are three) and slowly rev your motor up and down it will trip the sensor.
I've tried it even on my little 250 dual sport and it does seem to work.:shrug:

well you also live in ontario. i am basing this comment on absolutely nothing but i bet your roads are better maintained than ours in ohio. i swear most of the sensors don't really work anyway. like i said before, be it in a car or on my bike if i sit longer than i feel necessary at a red light i just go. and don't get me started on left turn arrows. what a stupid idea that is. :banghead:

I wouldn't mess with that. Huge fine. A guy was caught using one in his car after they monitored the intersection for a couple of weeks to determine which car was consistently going through the intersection when it tripped every morning and evening.

Back