New to boards , first build

Dragbikepilot

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I am new to the boards and this is my first full build from the ground up . Not sure exactly what year 650 I am starting with , think it is early 70's . The bike was given to me by a friend so I started looking at sites for inspiration and found alot . Going a low slung boardtracker style with 21 inch rims front and back . Here is what I started with , I just built a frame jig today will post pictures of that tomorrow .

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 160
Hi. I am new to the board as well. welcome. I have found a lot of help and information on this site. I have an xs400 project that I am working on. I am in need of the rear frame loop from an xs650 to weld onto my bike and I noticed that you cut yours off. I would love to have it if you are not in need of yours. good luck with your project and thanks. Wes. Ventura, Ca
wesef@aol.com

VTA if you cant come across one , this one is all yours I have no use for it with the build I going with . Choppin it up and welding it back together is the name of the game to ride non stock . One of two things will happen with this one , I will ride into the sunset with it or ride into a big waded up ball of mess .... either way it will be a fun journey......

Here is the frame jig I built on Sunday , with the frame on it . Should have a rolling chassis before Thankgiving if I can get the tubing for the rear section bent before then . The front fork tubes got cut down 8 3/4 inches , for the correct stance on the front end .

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 141
You cut 8 3/4 inches off the fork tubes. I don't understand how you are going to put the forks back together. The upper end has threads the caps screw into. The bottom has a lip inside the springs seat on. If you cut the tubes off you lose one end or the other.
If you do get them together that is going to eliminate any travel. No front suspension don't sound fun to me.

The reason I cut the tubes down is that the tubes were 34 3/4 inches to start . I am not sure what stock length is , but the tubes on the bike had 13 1/2 inch spacer bars ontop of the springs for that late 70's chopper look . I have my frame at 3 inches off the ground and needed to shorten the tubes . I will get 2 1/2 inches of travel both ways when back together . With cutting the bottom off the tubes I went to my friends shop and put it on the lathe to cut the lip back in the bottom and cut a new snap ring groove . With being 3 inches off the ground and 21 inch front , will only give me 3 1/4 inches from the top of the bottom tube to the lower triple tree . Plus I have raked it to 45 degrees .

Back