New to me but very pretty

whats your thoughts on this xs650

• Total voters

Reggie2904

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have recently brought this machine and its a pretty little machine.
Just seeing what you lot think
20200707_135509.jpg

Reggie, I see it's your first post, welcome to the forum. Not sure how to answer your question - it's a mater of taste and tastes vary. I've never ridden a hard tail nor a bike with girders. So I guess that's not my style. But have to agree that's a pretty bike - I like the colours on the paintwork, looks like a well executed customisation, clean and tidy. Hope you get many miles & smiles. Cheers, Raymond

Hello Reggie and welcome from Virginia.

It took my eyes a few seconds to realize that is a complete bike. Caught me off guard it did. With that said, I think it is cool. Tell us how it rides now and if you know, can you compare it to a regular XS650?

Reggie, that is a wild and pretty bike ! Very appealing after a look over. Since, you did ask for opinions. I just can't see that rear fender bracket passing anybodys approval. Lol.. the rest of the bike is mainly made of tubes so I think a round tube type chrome or matching silver fender stay would do wonders there !
More pics?
-R

Looks cool!
Welcome to the forum!
We are a bunch O crusty ole farts and might not always tell you what you want to hear, but that's a good thing.
As long as you are aware of, and willing to accept the limitations of that type of ride.
You might want to get in a parking lot or such and carefully work up to a "need to stop NOW" front brake application. I've never ridden a girder but IIRC grabbing some powerful front brake can do scary things to one.
https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-motorcycle-repair/brief-history-of-girder-forks
The good news is it has a front brake. Workmanship looks pretty good. It looks to be a very light flexible chassis. That rear brake push rod looks a bit hinky at the rod to thread area at the rear. A push design puts a LOT of stress on a kink like that, which might be why it looks bent. Basically the threaded area is not thick enough to take a push application. Pull rods (like the stock set up) are generally accepted as a better solution. Plan on making changes to that brake for reliability (safety).
Yeah what machine sez on the rear fender bracket.
Keep us in the loop!
PS love that brick garage also!

Last edited:
Looks like someone did a lot of work in the frame..... good look'n scoot. I've done " hard tail ".. with one rear brake.... and I accepted the limits associated with that set up. Great local scene bike... but not go'n to see the back roads wave'n at the farmers.
The rear boot brake looks to be... complicated. .. foot peg needs to be relocated.. ?

We are a bunch O crusty ole farts and might not always tell you what you want to hear, but that's a good thing.
But we mostly are tactful about it.
Not my style but I've seen way worse!

Generally a NICE RIDE! Not my style but, it's not my bike. IMHO it needs a top engine mount. I would not be surprised if it goes through a lot of headlight bulbs. Your rear brake is mounted well and the angle of the brake arm is better than most, outside of what gggary said. Overall, well done. I like the lines and the colors.

You asked for opinions haha

did you buy that in hopes of never having to wrench on it or “fix” it? As pointed out there are probably quite a few things to be “improved” already.

I’d add to that list some air filters.

I wonder why they went through so much trouble building the frame/forks and they stuck the caliper where it is?

all this stuff said are just guys getting into the nitty gritty of how they would have done it. We didn’t build it and don’t know why it was done the way it was done so it’s hard to criticize the way something was made if it had to stick to a budget or a customers strict request of knowing “the right way to do it”

what’s the back story of the bike? Did you order it? Did someone else order and not pay up so you bought it? Did a guy build it with the intent to just sell when it was done? Was it his personal bike for a while? Did he tell you any things that would possibly need to be “addressed” in the near future or did he tell you that you just found the holy grail??

If you paid $2000 for the bike or $10,000 then it may be a score or a rip off.

Last edited:
Nice colour.

I like how the drilled rear fender support helps balance the drilled front brake rotor. Unfortunately the front is in bit of a shadow so the balance is not quite as obvious as it would be in the open air.

I shall watch out for your bike.

I have recently brought this machine and its a pretty little machine.
Just seeing what you lot thinkView attachment 171407

Hi Reggie and welcome,
Oh my, that's one prettily retro'd XS650.
The mini-tank will limit it's range but back in the day folks rode girder fork rigid frame bikes long distance no problem.
At least, unlike the rigid frame WDCO Royal Enfield & 16H Norton I ran in the 1950s your bike has a decent front stopper..

Welcome to the forum! Lovely bike. Not my cup of tea, but looks to be well done with exception of stuff previously commented on. Without knowing your riding experience, I'ma repeat what Gary said.... knowing how a bike and brakes behave in a panic stop.... is knowledge best learned before one needs it.

Back