New to me XS750...need some ideas

The new bleed type pilots seem to have done the trick! I was still getting a pretty bad flat spot right off idle, so pulled the carbs again and raised the needle one notch. Seems to be pretty close now, starts on one or two kicks (starter button quit on me), and revs out like it should.

Next task is to repair the right rear turn signal wiring, fix the rear brake (no pressure at all, hopefully it is rebuild-able), and do a short road test to make sure 2nd gear is OK.

First road test was a success! Didn't go far as I don't have it plated yet, just to the end of my dead end road and back (1/8 mile or so). Got it up to third gear nice and smooth (but the real test will be harder acceleration). That triple engine is a torque monster, it just wanted to go :bike:

I had removed the back brake to rebuild, and I'm not sure I'll reuse the master cylinder. It's frozen solid and won't be budged after a long soak in penetrating fluid. The rear caliper looked like it was a lost cause, but after cleaning it good might be reusable. That piston was a real PITA to remove, but came out with some mini-sledge love taps :whistle:.

It looks like there is an internal seal or O-ring, but the rebuild kit didn't include it. Think it's safe to reuse?

EqNRagA.jpg

agd7VzB.jpg

This master may be too far gone, it was full of rust but cleared up a bit after a soak in brake cleaner and some shots with the air gun. All the rust looks to have come from the metal plate under the cap:

IFch5vl.jpg

Problem is, I can't get this piston to budge:

zA1Wfet.jpg

Making progress finally! Actually being able to ride it was a huge morale booster :D

Yeah pretty rough all around, the caliper piston is quite pitted. 5twins found generic brake seals that should work. remove that one and clean behind it. That's the usual problem in disc brakes, all the gunk behind the piston seal. I've had success reusing that seal if it's not all beat up.

If that ring in the caliper is not in your rebuild kit, you have an inferior kit. It should have been included. Like Gary said, the crap under that seal is going to be an issue. Remove it and clean under there. Inspect the seal for any cracks. The pitting on the piston will be a problem. The caliper will leak there. Replace the piston.

The master cylinder will clean up. You'll need to remove the plastic reservoir. A packing (o'ring) on the bottom is holding it in place. That packing will also require replacement. A good parts house or hardware store should be able to hook you up. A snap ring holds the piston in place. It won't come apart until you remove it.

I've got the snap ring out in that pic, the piston still won't so much as wiggle. I found a much better looking master on ebay pretty cheap that I will rebuild instead. I didn't want to reuse the cap anyway, as it is just flaky rust.

It looks like these use the same brakes as the 650, so I should be able to get a replacement piston from Mikes. I'll hold off on that order until I have time to assess the front brakes too. They work, but are very soft. That master has the same rusty cap issue as well.

Specials (other than the XS650) use completely different calipers. Is your XS750 a standard? If so, you're OK. Rear calipers may interchange anyway.

Yep, it's a standard with a goofy (but pretty darn comfy) king/queen seat on it. Over the winter I scored a mint stock seat with red side covers & tail for about a hundred bucks.

I always loved the XS750: big comfy, fast with great brakes, cast wheels and a shaft.

It was a toss-up whether to buy an XS750 or the roughly comparable Suzuki GS850G. I chose the Suzuki because the local Suzuki dealer was waaayyy better than the Yamaha dealer. I loved my big Suzuki but I still hankered after that triple with it’s neat exhaust note.

Thats true the 78-up XS750-1100 Specials do use a different front caliper, the seal kit for those carries a different part number.
the 750-1100 rear calipers didn't change style til 81

This Yamaha 1J3-W0047-00-00 CALIPER SEAL KIT fits the following models and components:

Yamaha Motorcycle 1976 XS500C DOUBLE DISC BRAKE

Yamaha Motorcycle 1976 XS360C DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1976 XS500C FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1976 XS500C REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1977 XS360D DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1977 XS500D REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1977 XS500D DOUBLE DISC BRAKE

Yamaha Motorcycle 1977 XS500D FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1977 XS750D REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1977 XS750D FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1977 XS400D FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1977 XS650D DISC BRAKE CALIPER XS650D E E006501- F

Yamaha Motorcycle 1977 XS750-2D REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 SR500E FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1977 XS400D REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1977 XS650D DOUBLE DISC BRAKES XS650D E E006501- F

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 SR500E REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1977 XS750-2D FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS400E FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS500E REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS750E REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS750SE-31 REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS500E DOUBLE DISC BRAKE

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS650SE-11 DOUBLE DISC BRAKE

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS750E_227 REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS1100E FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS650SE-11 FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS650SE-11 REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS500E FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS650SE REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS650SE DOUBLE DISC BRAKE

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS750E_227 FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS1100E REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS750E FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS650SE FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS400E REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1978 XS750SE REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 SR500F REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 XS650SF REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 XS400F REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 XS1100F FRONT BRAKE-CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 SR500F FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 XS650_2F FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 XS400F FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 XS650SF FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 XS750F REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 XS750SF REAR DISC BRAKE - CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 XS1100F REAR BRAKE CALIPER

Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 XS650_2F DOUBLE DISC BRAKE

Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 XS650SF DOUBLE DISC BRAKE

Got the rear brake rebuilt & front's working well enough for a test ride. Took it on my go-to 50 mile loop and it performed great! Pulls hard all the way to redline.

The 3-3 exhaust sounds amazing, but I'm debating swapping back to the stock exhaust simply so I can put a center stand on it. I'll have to see if someone can make a new collector for the stock headers so I can use an aftermarket muffler instead of the enormous stock one.

Here is how it sits at present, I swapped out the king & queen seat for something more appropriate:

eLMFtpL.jpg

Looks nice - especially withOUT that.....remarkable seat :wtf:

Love those triples!

Pete

Back