New to Motorcycles, New to me XS650 - Flooded?

minster

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a '76 today and am having trouble keeping it running. When I bought the bike, the battery needed a jump despite the previous owner having installed a new battery. We were able to get it up and running and I was able to ride it for a few miles. I felt like the engine was sputtering at times while riding and would recover when I would apply some more throttle. I ended up doing this while at stoplights with the clutch lever engaged. It ended up dying at a stoplight and I pulled over. Someone tried to help me and said that I likely flooded the carbs as the smell of fuel was strong. Despite letting it sit for about 10 minutes, it would not start. The told me to ride a hill down and drop the clutch to start the motor. This worked but it was running very rough and felt like it was about to die at any second. I was able to get it home but now it won't start. The engine cranks but will not fire. After a few attempts, the motorcycle would backfire while cranking.

Is this indicative of the engine being flooded? Do I need to get new spark plugs? As a noob, I have very little clue as to what I'm doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! :D
You've got some reading to do. Look in the tech section for manuals and such. Search box is useful. We're flying blind here... give us some good pics of the carbs. Pull the left side alternator cover and points cover and give us some good pics so we can see what you have. Strong fuel smell does indicate fuel overflowing from carbs.
You say you're new to bikes... what kind of mechanics skills do you have? How 'bout tools?

Last edited:
Get the battery on a shore charger and fully charge it, see if it starts then. Then a get a volt meter on the battery terminals while it's off, idling and at 3,000 RPM. Report your findings.

Ps you can jump your bike from a car or truck or whatever but NOT a vehicle that's running.
Yes I suspect you have charging issues. A new battery on a for sale bike, is about a dead give away for charging system issues.

Welcome to the XS650 Madhouse Minster,

Post up some pics of the bike and areas the guys are talking about, under the rotor/stator cover, (left side of engine under the round Yamaha cover).............Please now your on here don't buy anything before asking about any product and where they come from, don't take advice from a friend who has never had an XS650 before asking on here again.........This is because anything to know about these bikes has been discussed and worked out, this site and a main part of the crew have been on here since 2009...........the experts are on here....

some light reading..........Will help to understand as we go along.........
http://www.xs650.com/threads/troubleshooting.2736/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/guide-...checklist-for-the-condition-of-your-find.367/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/bike-wont-start-running-rough.390/

Yeah it is an adventure about to begin for you. From what you are describing to me it sounds like maybe you just got this bike. The carbs probably need to be cleaned since old gas May have set for a while and your floats are probably stuck in position causing it to run weird. Next you probably drained the battery so much trying to start before the hill that it doesn’t have a full charge on it now to start the bike. Good Luck!

Back