New to the forum, just bought a XS 650

Firewrench91

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I have been riding other peoples motorcycles/dirt bikes and my trail 90 for most my life. It has never been a major hobby prior to now. Lately I had been thinking about getting a motorcycle to save some gas money (my current daily driver is a 1966 Jeep pickup). About a week ago I was talking to an acquaintance who mentioned he had a motorcycle he wanted to sell or part out because he couldn't get it running again. I offered him $400 and became the proud owner of a non running 1980 XS 650 with 11k miles. The PO story was he rode the 650 in college out in Utah until about 9 months ago when he started blowing fuses. He had not used it since. I removed the broken factory fuse holders (PO had tried to fix the cracked fuse holders with tinfoil) and soldered in four weather resistant mini fuse holders and she fired right up. Currently going over all the mechanical bits then some cosmetic details. I have already benefited from the wealth of knowledge on the site and look forward to learning more as I bring this bike back to life.

Here are some pics.
10525589_878139118866911_7204088098633779002_n.jpg

10437462_878139918866831_2706362677547981036_n.jpg

10464338_878140015533488_8890221078911569665_n.jpg

983727_878141425533347_6691439068737277199_n.jpg

Lets start by saying Welcome to the forum, our little slice of the XS650 life.
Well done, this is one thing that should be done to most of these bikes. Replace those crappy glass fuses for some that work.
I might also suggest going through all the wiring, start at one end working your way to the other. Checking each and every connection. They can all be taken apart and cleaned, most can be tightened too. A small dab of dielectric grease will help them stay clean.
All the switches can be taken apart and cleaned.
You will find that at 50+mpg the gas bill will be much less, but also be much cheaper at the DMV and the insurance company.
Enjoy your bike.
Leo

Welcome to the site. $400 is a good deal. Bike looks like it is in good condition. Nice fix. Do the routine maintenance and you are good to go. I like the 80 model have one myself. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum, good place to be, I too had some of these issues and in the process of going through everything also, hope you get your bike going, looks pretty good, something to work with.

Hi Firewrench and welcome,
Kudos for instinctively doing the right thing with the glass tube fuses.
Next thing, lose the rototiller handlebars and install sensible ones, say from an XS650 Standard, you'll be amazed at how much better the bike handles afterwards.
After that, swap out the stock fabric reenforced brake hoses for stainless steel wire braid ones.

Yes, a nice stocker and it shows that the deals are still out there to be had. Good on the fuse change out ....shows somebody has been searching the forum.
11k miles.....wouldn't be a bad idea to check the charging system too once you get things cleaned up. The TCI is a good stock system when it's working.
Might look into changing out those wretched handlebars for something more comfortable....we won't shame ya if you do.
Welcome aboard!

IMG_20140814_190034.jpg

IMG_20140917_185323.jpgThanks for all the warm welcomes! here are some more recent pictures my XS. So far I have changed out the handlebars (much improved handling), a new seat, new mirrors, new side covers, K&N air filters and some retro style tank badges. I'm off to DMV tomorrow morning to take my M1 skills test. since my last post I have logged about 2000 miles going back and forth to work and I smile big every time I fill up.

Welcome Firewrench
I like how you spaced the mini out instead of bunching them up.
And you are already sprucing it up. Shiny Shiny!
It seems you are already reading and figuring it out.
Maybe one thing you haven't come across yet is to re-torque the head bolts. The 4 outside ones tend to loosen allowing a weep at the head. Check your blind plug on the vacuum barb on the right side intake. A crack will allow a vacuum leak and it is 34 yrs old. Another foible is even though the drive sprocket has a lock tab washer they tend to come loose. Good on ya for bringing it back to life!
Oh and good luck with the test.

You mentioned K&N air filters. If they are direct replacements for the stock elements in your airbox, you should be fine. If they are the pod versions, you may encounter tuning problems. The pleated style element on K&N type pod filters just doesn't work that well on these CV carbs. If you are getting an upper midrange stumble that you can't tune out no matter what you do, the K&N pods are probably the cause. Switching to a UNI foam pod should fix the problem.

Back