New to the XS, Engine Question

Yamauser

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all, i'm new to the site and XS's. I have a 1971(I think) XS. Haven't had a close look at since I got it a year ago. I think it's a 71 cause there is only a kicker on it. Now that I've gotten my '82 Seca pretty much wrapped up I'd like to start collecting bits for my XS.

My biggest question is with the engine, I'm interested in rephasing but from what i've gathered I can't on this engine with out newer internals. Why is this? I'm exploring the turbo idea and am wondering if the early engines will hold up.

I got the bike for free with a locked engine from sitting outside for so long. Got it moving but gonna tear it apart and go through it properly.

Any help or direction to help greatly appreciated.

-Stu:

Your old parts can be used and taken apart,rephased and re-assembled. Your cam will also need to be rephased too and that will require some machining. Many shops that advertise here, can do this. I would advise changeing your connecting rods to 477 style due to more piston oversizes available. And if you decide to go 750cc kit later, it will be easier to do.

Hello all, i'm new to the site and XS's. I have a 1971(I think) XS. Haven't had a close look at since I got it a year ago. I think it's a 71 cause there is only a kicker on it. Now that I've gotten my '82 Seca pretty much wrapped up I'd like to start collecting bits for my XS.

My biggest question is with the engine, I'm interested in rephasing but from what i've gathered I can't on this engine with out newer internals. Why is this? I'm exploring the turbo idea and am wondering if the early engines will hold up.

I got the bike for free with a locked engine from sitting outside for so long. Got it moving but gonna tear it apart and go through it properly.

Any help or direction to help greatly appreciated.

-Stu:

Welcome to the forum.

Here's a link that you should read:
http://www.1971xs1b.com/index.htm

If you have a 1971, they are becoming quite rare. I would recommend you restore the bike to the way it was when it was new from the factory.

Re-phasing and turbo..................bad ideas in my opinion.

I'd love to restore it to original, but I'm missing quite a few parts. That's why I'm leaning toward a bobber of some kind. I'd be quite happy with a good back to original engine build, just wanted to explore my options.
Thanks for the input so far.

Maybe I'll browse the classifieds to see whats around. I have quite a large "original parts" need list.

-Stu

Back