New to XS650.

Hi Dave, Me too! I am so brand new to this game that I don't know where to begin. My late husband had a vintage xs650 special. He encouraged me to learn as much as I could about motorcycles and the hazards of riding in a city. Unfortunately, I didn't take him up on it and he sold the bike shortly before he died.

Ironically, I find myself interested in riding, now that he is gone, maybe for the feeling of freedom it might bring. I long to feel free.

Dave and New-bee, welcome. You can go on to the control panel and add some details in the signature section - it helps the rest of us know at a glance what bike you have (year and all that stuff). And New-bee, you can put in a photo they call an avatar.

Just join the fun fellers

Anlaf

Big Dave,
Welcome to the site. How long have you had the '81 650? Any pictures of it? Do you have any plans for it? Too nice to chop/bob (I hope)? Cafe? Street tracker? Or just a "retro restore"? I have a 1981 "H" that I just keep putting new parts on and ride it so much that my other bikes are neglected.
Good luck,
Whynot2

Thanks Anlaf, I look forward to contributing in the future. My husband's best friend has one of these bikes. I'm not sure of the year but probably similar vintage as my late husband's. He's invited me to upstate New York to get familiar with it, sometime this week. It will be great therapy!

And I want to thank all the other members who have offered help while I am at it!

Welcome new people! Glad to meet you.

Newbee, you never know, you might be getting your own soon, and that opens up a whole new world. And yes, the bikes have a way of taking your mind off things, and I find being in the garage, or riding, or talking to friends with bike a great therapy and very relaxing.

Anlaf

Last edited:
Whynot2.
I've had the xs for about 2 weeks now. As for my plans... after some thought I've settled on keeping the frame build simple. Im looking at a "Brat kit" feom VI. The engine not so much. I didn't get chance to speak to him yet, but once he gets some time id like to see if Hugh would be willing to get me setup with a rephase, ignition and charging system.

Since i have a long weekend coming up, im planing on a little tune up action. Im not sure if i can get them for the weekend but a friend of mine has some carb sync gauges. So a cam chain and valve adjustment is first on the list. Watch for some pics in a new thread.

Back