New Universal Cafe Racer seats now available!

bobber33

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everybody, sorry i haven't' been around much.
But since moving to the new shop and the lack of XS650 donor bikes around here...
I've fallen into building a couple of SR500's and other stuff...

Long story short..
This lead me to making my own Vacuum Form machine and manufacturing my own cafe racer seats out of ABS.
Seats are thick 3/16 black ABS shaped around my own handmade mould.
After hating all the fiberglass generic cafe seats out there that were either too big, or too small and ugly or didn't fit the tank width properly etc...

Anyway the first few are done and up for sale now! More will be available soon, and i can build them to order if needed. Time frame would be a week to 2 weeks depending on the upholstery guys schedule. Custom colors and stitching also available. Price may vary for custom stuff depending how crazy.

There may also be a paintable Raw ABS version 1/8" thick with a 3/16" pan for upholstery later. Or a raw 3/16" abs version. (depending on demand)
(some pics on my blog of these tests at chappellcustoms.com)

Anyway enough jabber... check em out! and there's also a little video i did when i was building and testing the concept a while back.
:thumbsup:

for sale here for now (there were 4 this morning and one is already gone!)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dochollywood6677/m.html?item=151040258982&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232ab373a6&vxp=mtr&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

3up.jpg

Black&Red.jpg

Black&white1.jpg

video here

:thumbsup:these look nice. impressive mold machine. whats one of these going to set us back? Your video of the tank indenting process on the 500 was pretty cool. I hope you dont get flaggged for posting an ad outside of the classifieds, but the good news looks worth the risk. good luck with the new seats!!:thumbsup:

I like it. If that seat was moves back a couple of inches to accommodate an XS750 tank, would the frame loop still have to be cut off?

I like it. If that seat was moves back a couple of inches to accommodate an XS750 tank, would the frame loop still have to be cut off?

yes the frame will still need modifications.
The stock frame does not get narrower at the back like most cafe racer seats do. So the taper of cafe seats will not work.
Usually a new hoop is made (or not) but everything after the shocks is usually trash.

The seat i used on my 33, XS cafe will fit over the stock frame i believe.
Its also wider so may make more sense with a 750 tank.
I'm also working on making a similar cafe tail like that one, if interested shoot me an email and i'll let you know when available.
:thumbsup:

I still don't like the mounting solutions that are available. That's what I'm most interested in fixing...these seats are great and I'd be interested, but I can't see where it solves my issue....an easy mounting system where I can remove the seat to get to fusing and components and such....sorry if this is off topic, being a nube with no fabrication experience, purchasing great looking products still leave me with confusion and questions on how to mount them. Is this mounted differently than any other 'umiversal' cafe seats?

Thanks!

I still don't like the mounting solutions that are available. That's what I'm most interested in fixing...these seats are great and I'd be interested, but I can't see where it solves my issue....an easy mounting system where I can remove the seat to get to fusing and components and such....sorry if this is off topic, being a nube with no fabrication experience, purchasing great looking products still leave me with confusion and questions on how to mount them. Is this mounted differently than any other 'umiversal' cafe seats?

Thanks!

Generally fabrication of some sort is required.
At the very minimum cutting stuff off, and adding something to bolt the seat to, and also to support your weight.
I usually just use stock style mounts on front and 2 bolts on the back.
But yes you need to make a bar or metal tray to put the bolts through.
A piece of 1" square tubing welded between the frame rails with 2 holes in it will work.
This also supports you and the seat.
There is no "universal" seat that just fits every bike without some work.
If your looking for simple,,, buy some velcro and just stick it to the frame :)

What's the underneath side look like? How would you go about bolting it up?

The underneath is flat in the Butt area, with 6 metal pre-threaded mounting locations, so you can mount them as you see fit for your frame, or fabricate a mounting pan.

these are already sold out! until i get the next batch back from upholstery that is...

Also we just made a new mould that will better fit the "stock" xs tank width, and length from tank to shocks. (stock rear hoop still needs to be removed regardless)
It will be available soon. I will update this post when i get a new batch.

Back