New User with question on 80 xs650g!

mattofferdahl9

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I put a pamco ignition in my bike, disconnected the TCI and only hooked up the red/white wire to the coil and not the orange. For one my headlight doesn't work unless I jump from the blue/yellow on the lighting relay, and the charging system isn't working, or is my starter anymore (possibly since the battery is damn near dead)

Does using a pamco and unhooking your stock TCI and pickup on your flywheel kill your charging system, or to rephrase the question on my TCI xs650 should my charging system still work with a pamco ignition?

Any info on where to start?

The TCI and Pamco are just ignition systems and have no effect on the charging system.
If your charging system is not keeping your battery charged the bike won't run well irregardless of what ignition you have. If you knew the charging system was not working you should have fixed that before trying a new ignituion.
The TCI is very voltage sensitive. Low voltage and it runs on one cylinder and won't advance.
Once you get the charging system working you may find the TCI system works fine.
I would start by troubleshooting the chagring ststem. If you look in the tech section you may find a link to Curly's charging system guide. Use the guide and it will help you find whats wrong and how to fix it.
I might check the brushes first, if less than about 3/8 inch replace them.
Leo

Back