Newb here looking for direction

thedocta

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes. I am looking into a carb swap for my newly purchased 1975 XS650. I have purchased a rephased crank for the engine and plan on a teardown over the winter that involves a 277 deg./750 motor with a hot street cam for the summer of 2012. With that in mind I plan on riding the bike as is (stock except carbs and 2into1 style free flow pipes) for this summer but I do not want to re-use the original carbs. What carb kit would you fellas recommend and why? I am looking into a 650 Central VM Mikuni kit or the Mikes XS Keihin kit. My question is which one would adapt over to the 750 motor better and what will I have to do to match the throttle cables up to my 75? Any tips on the rephase 750 build would be sweet too. Thanks to those who put this site together it is tops!

Search the site for threads on the Keihin carbs there are at least 3.
Then draw your own conclusions.

Nothing wrong with the stock carbs, They can run a 750 rephase just fine. The later BS38 linked carbs are a bit easier to sync. The BS34's are an even better carb.
The others may have an edge at the very top end, but for most street riding the bigger carbs are more than you need.
Leo

Hey dudes. I am looking into a carb swap for my newly purchased 1975 XS650. I have purchased a rephased crank for the engine and plan on a teardown over the winter that involves a 277 deg./750 motor with a hot street cam for the summer of 2012. With that in mind I plan on riding the bike as is (stock except carbs and 2into1 style free flow pipes) for this summer but I do not want to re-use the original carbs. What carb kit would you fellas recommend and why? I am looking into a 650 Central VM Mikuni kit or the Mikes XS Keihin kit. My question is which one would adapt over to the 750 motor better and what will I have to do to match the throttle cables up to my 75? Any tips on the rephase 750 build would be sweet too. Thanks to those who put this site together it is tops!

Welcome to the site thedocta.

Check in the tech section and like stated prior. Do a search for the carbs and do your research.

Also start up an intro thread and post some pics of what you have going on. Otherwise, it doesn't exist making you a liar.

Thanks for the guidance XSLeo. I see that you have a '75 as well. Super cool that you are willing to give advice. Nice jab BigJimmy. I love to have fun too, so thanks for the laugh but I do realize the seriousness of your statement as well. I am a collector of Polaris TX snowmobiles and I never go fishing on vintage sled sights for help without some pics of my project. It is the best way to inspire my audience. I will post some up this weekend. We got a nice 8" of snow up here Tuesday this week so I have not been really been messing with my new toy. I read up on the carb threads. The MikesXS Keihin's are tempting, nice price.....out of stock though. Grrrr. I did just buy a seat from Mikes this week. Not bad for a repro.....I guess. They did ship fast and do a nice job following up letting me know that they received my payment and when to expect my package so I will definately buy from them again for at least one of Pete's 277 ignitions when I tear down and do the motor project. What did you do for a cam Jimmy?

Thanks again Jimmy. I eBay'd up a cam from Riggs. Here is my ride.

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

Back