Exhaust Help for my '82

Broski

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Been searching around the forum and see a lot of differing opinions. With that being said, I am not a big fan of the exhaust that are currently on my XS. They sound fine, but don't like the look. What I am thinking is basically a set of "skirt blowers" that would either take the same track as my current exhaust or running over the engine case then down right behind Like I drew in red on the photo. Either way, I would want them to end about where the current "Cocktail Shaker" attaches. So, in doing either, does the XS need an actual muffler or baffle in order to run properly. Mind you there is a 750 kit and cam on the motor. I even looked at the Pandemonium kits, but the only I'm not 100% sold on the "Double D" or "Hot Rod" look. Any input on options would be a huge help. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 20201213_233521.jpg
    20201213_233521.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 160
I worked at a muffler shop for years.... they can bend that ... you can either clean the welds... chromed $$$$.... high temp paint $$$... or exhaust taped $$.. plain or painted.

I’m not an expert on the subject, but the answer is not that straight forward. The object is to scavenge the spent gas as quickly as possible. Diameter of the pipe, length of the pipe, and a muffler or lack of, all come into play. I wish I could be more helpful. I do believe a large diameter short pipe will scavenge slowly and hurt performance. Maybe you can fix that, sort of like putting your thumb over the end of the garden hose.

Short fat pipes are hard to tune for. Most find 1.5" head pipes perform very well. About 39 inches from exhaust valve to outlet is a good length to start at.
As mentioned open pipes do hurt overall performance, they do have a slight edge at WOT. Unless you are drag racing then you won't be running WOT much.
Exhaust can be quite a subject to study. There is a lot more to it than just getting the exhaust pointed away from the bike.
Most exhaust is a combination of compromises. Things like size, weight and looks all play a part.
The main thing you want is to get the exhaust out of the combustion chamber so it can be filled with the fresh charge of fuel and air. The velocity of the exhaust needs to be high as well as free flowing. The stock exhaust on it's ID is about 1 1/8 ". This keeps the velocity up and helps the scavanging. The cross over pipe helps also. The mufflers on the standard models was quite large. It needed this to quiet the exhaust without to much restriction.
The ones on the specials are not as good for power because they are shorter and need to be quieter.
From the sound of your question, the looks are more important to you than performance. So do as you will. Just realize it will need some carb work once you have the new pipes on.
Leo

Back