Newb in need of help!!!!

My '82 runs a 7-pin TCI (Same thing basically as a cdi) The 8th slot is empty. If you are running a clipped wiring system, I think you can get by with the 6-pin. If you keep your eyes open on e-gay, you can sometimes find them for 50 bucks or so.....the system works well, but I've been having trigger issues (the pickup)...I've got a good one now, but if it fails, as soon as funds allow I may go to a Pamco system...

Looks like the PO was eliminating all the extras on the wiring....he is close to what is needed.....these things had a stupid number of safety relays...

Pretty simple bikes, I've been having a blast building mine...
Tom

In this case CDI is what TC bros called the TCI because they didn't go find the right name.

That third one is not tested. You should post a TCI wanted ad in the classifieds on this site. I have a couple, tested working myself.

On Ebay some are listed as a CDI because the seller just buys bikes and strips them down to sell parts. They seldom have any idea what the parts are called. If you look at enough of the XS650 parts you will find at least 50% are misnamed.
I like the way the cut the wires off an inch away from the plugs instead of unplugging the plugs.
The only thing that looks missing is the TCI box. With one of them and some wire you can make it run and charge. Once you get it that far, adding the lights and such is easy.
All three opened up for me. All three will work, if they are good. The first is from an 82 so it has a 7 wire unit. The 7th wire goes to the side stand/clutch relay crap. On your bike you just cap it off.
The second and third are 6 wire units. As others have said the $49 is a good price if it works. The second one says it's tested. You might want to ask how they tested it. The only way is to swap it on a running bike to see how it works. There is no off bike test possible on the TCI box.
If you buy one and it won't work there are things to do to fix it. One of the repairs is one thing I would do before I even tried it. Thats to resolder all the wires where they hook to the circuit board and all the solder joints on the circuit board. It will that a few minutes but it might prevent lots of trouble.

Last edited:
Back