Newbie, bought a hard tail frame and can't figure out the tensioner

pirategonzo

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first build and will probably be the start of many questions ahead.

I picked up a frame that is already raked and hard tailed and all the work looks pretty well done. What I don't understand is what they were going for with the chain tensioner. This bike was on the road prior to me buying it so it did work somehow but it seems pretty sketchy to me. I understand the design behind it but I don't see the functionality of it, so either I am missing something for it, blind to how it works, or it's just a really bad design.

Anyone know how this would work? Would I be better off replacing it? Can someone point me to where I would get something to replace it with?

I would rather have a set up like the TC Bros hard tail but I don't want to have to cut the frame up since the rest of the work looks pretty good.

Rq4d11G.jpg

R1DTIkM.jpg

J0TahHw.jpg

ZWR7Oyk.jpg

XewEyVN.jpg

SyvzrXL.jpg

Thanks for the help and guidance. I'm sure I will be looking for a lot more in the future.

Looks a bit crude but functional.....

The tensioner really doesnt do anything per se.....just helps you finely adjust the rear axle placement before locking it in place (therefore adjusting the chain tension).

Clearly the point of the current setup is you run the bolt out against the axle.....therefore pushing it when you tighten the bolt.

I actually kinda dig that style of tensioner.

It should have spacers that are dimpled for the tensioner bolt to push into. This will take up the extra free space and add diameter to the point where it pushed on he axle.

Back